orange evo2 build, finished, new pics added!17/7/09

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i got this frame from "i am ironman" a little while ago. i didn't really need another project at the time but he did such a good deal that i would have daft to refuse and it looks the bollocks aswel. :D

i wasn't really sure what to build it like but then i saw a couple of bikes while on some retro rides that made me think, yeah i'll do that. those bikes belong to "average mark" and "wu tangled". basically they were both rigid with carbon forks, one disc and one v equipped. bearing in mind this frame has been modified to disc only obviousley that was where i was going to go, although if it wasn't modified i would have stuck with v's coz i'd rather see an unused disc mount than an unused brake boss!! ;) i have never owned a rigid carbon fork and this style of build appeals to me.

it has taken a while for me to get parts as i decided to wait for bits to come along at sensible prices then when i had the guts of the build i then put a wanted ad for a fork, i was abliged by harryburgundy with a mint white bros fork! :D also got a good set of original hope mini brakes from "daveaasmith" and a set of xt shifters from "daj".

so cheers to all you guys who have helped getting me bits! :D :D

the idea was to have a mostly xt drivetrain and originally i was going to run a set of xt/mavic wheels but then i thought why buy those bits? i haven't been massively impressed with my dt rear hub on my 07 clockwork, it's ok but i prefer hope, the dt bearings (just replaced)haven't lasted that well and i decided to buy the 07 clockwork a new set of wheels and use the dt wheelset on this instead so this build has turned out to be higher specced than i had originally intended.

i need to get the bottom bracket and disc mounts faced and the crown race fitted before i can go any further and i am hoping to do this tomorrow when i nip into my old place of work, then i sould beable to build the whole thing by the weekend :D

here's some pics

Attachments

• with the build kit.jpg
    with the build kit.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7,015
  • evo2 frame.jpg
    evo2 frame.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 7,015
Hi Jon,

Looks as if you will have this built by the time I finish typing this :LOL: another classy ride in the making as usual ;)

I would be interested in your thoughts in the white bros forks as I want a set of RC31's but as they are so saught after now they go for stupid money and am looking into other options.

Cheers

having never ridden a pair of carbon rigid forks other than on the roadbike i'm looking forward to it myself! :D people seem to like them so i'm sure i'll be no different

oh and thanks for the compliment on the build, i can take credit for the build but not the work on the frame removing the brake bosses and paint and decal work goes to "i am iron man" ;)

done a little more work on the bike :D

as i'm using the wheels out of my 07 clockwork i have to wait till the new wheels are ready for that before i can swap the wheels over to this bike, so i've mounted as much stuff as possible and come across a couple of things that i need to sort, i'll need a longer hose assembly for the front brake but other than that everythingelse is all ok. :D

one thing i am wondering about is, i have some blue ano stuff i was thinking of putting on the bike, mainly for the rear mech, b tension bolt, jockey bolts, and cable clamp bolt, also blue headset top cap and bar plugs. what do you think? blue ano on an orange frame? i'm undecided about it, i could fit it all then remove it if it looks crap but should i bother or will it be awful?

i'm pretty chuffed so far though as this will look almost brand new by the time i'm finished and with the sale i have had recently and flogging other bits on ebay this has cost me basically nothing other than the new wheels for the other bike. :D nice!

here's a pic update :D

Attachments

• bottom bracket assembly.jpg
    bottom bracket assembly.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6,931
  • handle bar assembly.jpg
    handle bar assembly.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 6,931
  • cutting forks to fit.jpg
    cutting forks to fit.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 6,931
decided i'd finish this as it's been pissing down all day :evil: poobags!!

i haven't sorted the new wheelset for the clockwork but i decided i'd nick the wheels out of it for this anyway, the rims are on the way so that'll be back up and running early next week.

i came across a couple of issues as i was building. the most fiddly thing to do was modify the disc mount, the caliper fits no problem but when i fitted the wheel with the rotor it was catching on the caliper, basically the caliper was slightly too low. the quickest way i could think of sorting it was to get the drill out, so i have slightly ovalised the disc mount holes so that the caliper could go up a little. when i refitted the wheel it worked perfectly. :D i also fitted the new hose assembly to the front brake but i must have been a little careless with the pads as they somehow got contaminated with oil :x

other than those little issues the bike went together really nicely. :D

inbetween the rain showers i took it for a little round the block spin and i have to say it's blinkin lovely. sometimes you get on a bike and it feels "right", this is one of those bikes, it was smooth and comfortable, the only adjustment i might make is dropping the front end slightly but i'll do a proper ride on it first before i make that decision.

here's some pics :D

Attachments

• Photo0151resized.jpg
    Photo0151resized.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 6,836
  • Photo0152resized.jpg
    Photo0152resized.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 6,836
  • Photo0153resized.jpg
    Photo0153resized.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6,836
more pics :D

Attachments

• Photo0154resized.jpg
    Photo0154resized.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6,834
  • Photo0155resized.jpg
    Photo0155resized.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 6,834
  • Photo0157resized.jpg
    Photo0157resized.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 6,834
Very nice :cool: .

Had the same rubbing problem with my Mono Minis - turns out wavy rotors can be slightly over 160mm outside diameter. So I just bought some standard rotors instead.

What have you wrapped around the chainstay?

the brakes feel spot on now appart from the oil spillage on the front, cheers for those. :D

i put black electricians tape on the chainstay for the mo, coz i plan to use it straight away but i haven't got a chainstay protector yet, i wound it on like bar tape. it'll do for the mo.

Back