Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:57 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:00 pm 
SotS Winner
SotS Winner

Here's my recently acquired 18" 1998 Xizang, a bike I have longed to own since the early 1990s. Obviously not actually a whole bike yet, but I'm short on cash so who knows when it will be rideable.

I came into possesion of this frame after knowing of its existence for little over a year. It was owned from new by a former Shimano employee who had some plan to build it into an all weather commuter using a Rohloff rear hub. It sat half built for a long time until a friend of mine somehow convinced the original owner to trade it for a set of triple Ti eggbeater pedals! He built the bike up, rode it twice and decided the '90s geometry was not for him, I offered him $500 Canadian for it (280 pounds), a low price for the frame but based partly on what he traded for it, and partly on my assurance that I was not going to immediately throw it on eBay for a fast profit - I made it very clear that this frame was a 'lifer' as far as I was concerned.

The frame is in great shape - shelf worn but no dents or gouges and with all the original decals in good shape - I have two build planned - the one you see started here - quite traditional with parts that I already have or can obtain cheaply. Next year when my financial situation should be improved I will do a superlight build using modern parts, Fox F80, lots of carbon - and the bike will be my race bike until I cease to race!

The fork you see in it is a 1998 Judy SL in excellent condition, just 2.7 lbs and actually feels very nice with the new set of springs I just fitted.

Brakes are M952 XTR and were a bonus with the frame.

Crank is 110bcd Race Face Turbine in titanium gray ano. Will be run with a single 36T ring in a 1 x 8 configuration to save weight and simplify the drivetrain.

Headset is a nice old FSA Orbit, roller bearings top and bottom.

Stem is an early Race Face Deus, probably a couple of years late for this bike, but is very light and suits the build. (and it was cheap)

So that's all there is for now - have my eyes on a set of Mavic 517s on M952 hubs which if obtained will wear the Wildgrippers you see behind the bike. not sure about bars / seat post. Seat will of course be a Flite Ti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:33 pm 
SotS Winner
SotS Winner

Bit of an update:

Looking more like a bike now:

Picked up a set of Araya RM-17s on pre-Parallax XT hubs - not period correct but they were cheap and look right on the bike:

Front end, Azonic 1" riser in 120mm Race Face Deus stem, both very shiny!

RF Turbines are gone - the titanium TaperLock BB will soon be wearing White Industries compact cranks, low clamp XT BB temporary - have located a high clamp 31.8mm M953 mech - just have no money at the moment!

I know the somewhat haphazard parts mix will upset some people, but remember I earn less than 10 quid an hour and I'm trying to bring this bike to the trail on a very tight budget! I think the loose polished aluminum/ti theme will result in a clean, light looking bike.

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:42 am 
Retro Guru

looks nice, don't like the risers and the fork is a 97er. the 98's look sligthly different

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm 
SotS Winner
SotS Winner

Thanks for the fork date, I wasn't 100% on it - based the date on pictures in MOMBATs Rock Shox history.

The riser (and 6 degree stem) are a concession to comfort - as an ageing ex-bmxer I have more than my fair share of aches and pains - my right shoulder in particular suffers from long rides with a flat bar.