lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
after a little encouragement from longun i hereby present my 16 inch geared inbred!

bought earlier in the year and built up as a bargain cross country machine. i think this is the bike i have been looking for for several years without knowing it existed.

basically my return to cycling 2 years ago was on my old fire mountain. i loved the ride but everything was knackered so i bought a kona kikapu. wasnt really happy with that and swapped it for a stinky. fell out with that very quickly and invested my cash is a modern cinder cone. at least i had made up my mind i didnt like hardtails. i quickly realised i dont like aluminium either so i decided the best thing to do is buy a good but old frame, convert to disc and build with modern parts.

so i bought a 96 kileuea (i like konas!)

m y modern mate was helping me build it up and we stumbled across a number of problems which is when he said "if you want steel and modern components why not just buy an on one" i had never heard of them but 5 months later, this is the result..

igyqt2.jpg

most of the parts were bought used off to keep prices down. the reba sl's were half price a few weeks ago and were the only real extravagance.

old hope brakes and xt hollowtech 2 cranks were £60, xt/mavic 717 wheels were a bargain off here (cant remember who from but previous residence was a very nice alpinestars), s works carbonb bars, easton carbon post, selle italia saddle , irc tyres all freebies!!

its taken a while to come together due to saving for parts and waiting for the bargains but its now built and i lurve it.

climbs better than my legs can allow it, really stable on the descents and really easy to loft into the air. these are the first forks that i have had which i would consider to be good and it makes me realise that they are worth paying thatbit extra for.

anyway what do you lot think?

Looks like fun! :D

My next bike'll be something similar but with a few less gears - the rest is spot on!

I like it not sure bout the red stem though. I may be a bit biased as I had a slot drop out red one that has just gone to robdem. Been replaced with another one but the 29er from 2005/2006. My red 26 ran with carbon rigid forks for a while and it was so nimble and fast. You can beat them. Old skool modern retro cool at a great price. Will be nice to see the new frames from Brant now he's left on one. Looking at the shedfire site they are so similar just need to await release and prices.

perry has uploaded a video from the shedfire site - they do look well engineered.

stem is on there as i was experimenting with different ones and that one fits me the best. when i can get round to it i'll whip it off and paint it black.

cheers. one singlespeed in the shed is enough for me thanks!!

well despite really likking this bike i have finally scratched a long tern itch and bought a lovely little airborne lancaster off caramba kid. the idea being to swap all the components across from the inbred.

my friend collected the frame for me and i am absolutely delighted with it. i am struggling to believe how light it is.

15nlhmq.jpg

started the build up with plenty of copper grease

24fz8uh.jpg

i'm starting to think that the decals will be coming off in the not too distant future

2wnoldw.jpg

watch out man, that hairdryer is blowing your cables all over the place...

original decals cant be purchased anymore now that Airbourne has become Van Nicholas. If they are in good shape it may be worth preserving them? admittedly I did lose a few decals myself when I owned an Airbourne Mosquito, I kept the 'Airbourne' downtube logo's and removed most of the others...looked ace. I miss that bike :cry:

Back