1999 Kona Explosif 853

ratbane

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is my Kona. Bought new, because I didn't like the feel of aluminium hardtails. Sold a Marin IFT after a couple of months of ownership to get this.

Changed most bits to lighter affairs. All XT/XTR drivetrain, with Rock Shox Reba Teams @ 100mm, and USE seat post. Wheels are Mavic 519 with Hope hubs. Still 24 speed. Front disc is XTR, which replaced some Hope XC4s.

Still have the red 'zochi Z2 Bams and straight bars.

Very balanced, and rapid bike.

I'm looking at FS bikes at the moment. Took a Lapierre 514 out at Penhydd on demo - broke it, so decided not!! Not a patch on the Explosif on the ups and singletrack.

Attachments

• exsplosif.GIF
    exsplosif.GIF
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,914
Don't see many of those about. Nice. Nearly got one when my Kilauea got nicked, but the police found it just before the claim went through. Wouldn't have minded ending up with both... :p

Geoff":1hspkgs0 said:
Don't see many of those about. Nice. Nearly got one when my Kilauea got nicked, but the police found it just before the claim went through. Wouldn't have minded ending up with both... :p

Cheers. I had a 1998 Kilauea in yellow with blue decals, black 'zocchi Z3s, 531 frame. Sold it and shouldn't have. Rare bike too.

Back