2001 Explosif. Now no longer mine.

mikefoster

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my new ride. 2001 Expolsif Scandium 19". The build is not retro just good stuff that works well. Built it last week and not had chance to give some off road but if the ride to work is anything to go by should be great!!

Attachments

• EXPL6.jpg
    EXPL6.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,421
  • EXPL5.jpg
    EXPL5.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3,420
  • EXPL4.jpg
    EXPL4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,421
  • EXPL2.jpg
    EXPL2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 3,421
I like it a lot :D :D I remember wanting one but was put off as i think they were the first batch of Scandium frames and were only guaranteed for 2 years?

Thanks for that fellas, Don't think the guarantee is gonna make any difference as it now 7 years old. Got it for right money so if it lasts 12mth that will be cool.
Had a bit of an off road blast on it today and it seems very light and nimble.

Cheers Mike.

i'm sure it'll last longer than that dude. i think its a stunning machine, some of the purists might not like it as it is an alloy Explosif as opposed to the Steel version that the Explosif name has become so famous for. Have thought about getting that paintjob recreated on a few frames since seeing it. Looks in fantastic condition as well. I also def a fan of building bikes with good stuff that works well. Do you want to just sell it to me now? ;)

Super looking bike, I really wanted one but it was out of my price range so I got a 2001 Pahoehoe, I'm re-building that as we speak; how does the bike handle with those forks ( I presume they are longer travel than 80mm).

Yeah the forks are Marzocchi XC700 2008'S.Travel is 100-140mm. With them set at 100mm the front end does not feel high and turns quickly. When the travel is wound out the height could cause a problem unless you were pointing it down a steep hill. But i mainly ride xc these days so no real issue.

Cheers Mike.

My friend had one of the 'first batch' 2000 Explosifs.

That frame was very light and felt a bit flexy (rode nice as a result!), but it held together through a year of Expert racing. After he got next year's trials bike, he kept the Explosif as a trials rig and it survived 4ft drops and side-hops too!

So yours should hold together a while :cool:

Back