Not at all retor.. My new Darkside

mickey@spooky

Dirt Disciple
I just finished up the the first of our team xc builds for aught nine. This one is mine...

side-024.gif

side-019.gif

side-012.gif

side-017.gif

Big thanks to Chris King (hubs, headsets), Edge Composites (bars, rims), LH Thomson, and NoTubes.

Our dudes will be racing our stock 6061 Darksides (2.8 pounds for the 19" frame) for most events, and custom 650b bikes for the ultra-endurance and super rocky races (and our 140mm fs bike that's still underwraps).
As built, that bike is 19lbs, and we have lighter NoTubes ztr race wheelsets for the super climby events, and tubular wheels as well.

Very nice :cool: , not sure about the pink decals though, think i'd have gone for white, but that's being really picky.

Looking forward to seing the full susser :)

jimihendrix":fx7s600t said:
Very nice :cool: , not sure about the pink decals though, think i'd have gone for white, but that's being really picky.

Looking forward to seing the full susser :)

I'll put white decals on yours. Deal?

Re: Spooky

Wold Ranger":10uosgrl said:
Thought Spooky were all about Jump/4x/dual and DH not XC/trail?

Spooky is and always has been what we want it to be!

We invented the hardcore hardtail, and every spineless taiwan brand has been ripping it off for 12 years for pennies on the dollar. Why even bother competing with ripoffs of our own bikes? Why bother making dirtjump mountainbikes when a BMX bike is so much better?

In New England, Spooky was always one of the most dominant forces on the XC race scene. It's where my heart lay too. In our first year back racing we won more than a dozen races, a few state championships and a national championship. This year we are the title sponsor of one of the best elite road teams in the region. We had bikes with other companies stickers on them in the Olympics. Racing is my lifeblood. DH racing on the elite level is close to dead. The skinsuit ban killed it, as far as I can tell. We aren't making bikes designed for retards.

With all the hullabaloo about the global marketplace, etc, we have a larger market for $850 xc, road or 'cross frames than dirtump bikes. Except in England, "hardcore hardtails" are by and large bought and used by children with short attention spans... Kids don't value quality, and are too busy worrying about the latest fashions in pants and flat-brimmed hats to care who made their bike, and why it costs as much as it does.

If we want to make bikes for bike people (the only people worth caring about), we need to make the bikes that people who are as crazy about bikes as us want.

We race 4x and DH, And we build great bikes for our friends that race those disciplines. We've got a gearbox dh bike (that we raced succesfully last season), our own Gconn compatible gearbox to make it shift, and a "normal" dh frame that we are working on. They are projects that we are working on for giggles, but we have very little intention of ever really putting them into production, as the geometry and features that Pros want and need aren't really compatible with your average rider.

Instead of making a production DH bike, we are building a 140mm all-mountain bike for general production. Most of those bikes really suck, and unlike a good pro-level DH bike there is a market for them... We will also make a limited run of Metalheads this year, but the global market for a world-cup level 4x frame is pretty miniscule...

Spooky is about Doing It Yourself and creating a support network for your friends and fellow-travelers. Sales numbers be damned, we just want to make the best bikes we can, designed to win as many bike races as possible, and sell them to people who appreciate that.

mickey@spooky":16rqefmq said:
Wold Ranger":16rqefmq said:
Thought Spooky were all about Jump/4x/dual and DH not XC/trail?

We invented the hardcore hardtail, and every spineless taiwan brand has been ripping it off for 12 years for pennies on the dollar. Why even bother competing with ripoffs of our own bikes? Why bother making dirtjump mountainbikes when a BMX bike is so much better?.

Harsh but I tend to agree with that

:D

Very nice. It reminded me, at first glance, of the all black Zaskar that was out a few years ago.
Would've been nice to have black forks on this too :D

"DH racing on the elite level is close to dead. The skinsuit ban killed it, as far as I can tell. We aren't making bikes designed for retards."

That, i find offensive. What total cr**! The skinsuit ban killed WHAT? it, the 09 world cup season, has not started! do you have a tardis?

"Except in England, "hardcore hardtails" are by and large bought and used by children with short attention spans... Kids don't value quality, and are too busy worrying about the latest fashions in pants and flat-brimmed hats to care who made their bike, and why it costs as much as it does."

Damming statement if i ever read one. I could list several uk companies that do a great range of hardcore hardtail frames/bikes sold to keen, passionate grown-up riders, that would also take offence to that!

"We race 4x and DH, And we build great bikes for our friends that race those disciplines. We've got a gearbox dh bike (that we raced succesfully last season), our own Gconn compatible gearbox to make it shift, and a "normal" dh frame that we are working on."

so you spend time hanging out with "retards" then??
:roll:

jees, i feel guilty of posting the above. I just couldnt help it :oops:

retrobike has always been full of good karma, love & respect. Such strong opinions are seldom seen, & im really not the type to start arguments, but i did find the above offensive, nought i can do about that.

xeo.

Back