Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:51 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Retro Voodoo Bizango
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 pm 
Retro Guru

This build started off with my seeing a frame on ebay and buying it on a whim, brand new in May this year.

I put whatever parts I had on it and took a last minute decision to make it rigid after my intended RC36s had a steerer that was a couple of CM too short.

I had intended to put a front mech on but couldn't resist the cranks (bought off someone on here, no idea who... :wink: ) and left it as was.
I liked it but it came out kinda heavy (25.5lbs ish) which was mainly due to my wheels and brakes which almost weighed as much as me.

Anyway, I then changed the forks, stem, post, saddle, brakes, wheels and rear mech to nicer parts and it ended up with a fairly retro edge, although certainly not enough for it to be in the 'proper' retro section...

Here's the spec list and the 'before' and 'after' pics...

Frame: Voodoo Bizango

Fork: Pace Proclass 2

Headset: Chris King custom colours
Stem: Thompson Elite
Handlebar: Easton EC90
Grips: Yeti

Brakes: M950 XTR
Brake Pads: M950 XTR
Brake Cables: XTR
Brake Levers: M950 XTR

Shifter: Deore :oops:
Rear Derailleur: M950 XTR
Chain: SRAM Powerlink
Cranks: Kooka
Chainring: Salsa
Bottom Bracket: UN72
Pedals: Crank Crothers Acid 1

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Mavic 217
Hubs: M950 XTR
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Saddle: Flite
Seatpost: Thompson Elite

Weight is 24lbs ish.

While at heart its a new bike because of the frame, I reckon anything with a square taper BB qualifies... :wink:

Attachments:
File comment: First Incarnation...
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg [ 155.88 KiB | Viewed 2590 times ]
File comment: Done for now...
IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg [ 143.62 KiB | Viewed 2590 times ]
IMG_1107.jpg
IMG_1107.jpg [ 140.04 KiB | Viewed 2590 times ]
IMG_1106.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg [ 147.67 KiB | Viewed 2590 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:08 am 
Retro Guru

Very nice 8) - but (and I can expect to be stoned to death here... :roll: ) I wouldn't have taken the overly retrogressive step of changing from disc brakes to V brakes on a frame that has disc mounts, and even better, removable V brake bosses.

I mean - disc brakes have to be the best "modern" technology adopted by mountain bikes (IMHO more than suspension) and I find it hard to understand why anyone who actually rides their bikes would retrofit a modern frame with older technology like V brakes.

For what my opinion is worth (not a lot, I know :oops: ) I liked it better how it was in the "before" photo, rigid forks, USE post and all. Just needed some wider bars (risers of course :lol: )
Take no notice of the ramblings of an old man - no-one else does ! A nice bike and thanks for posting it - I always like those Voodoo frames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:17 am 
Retro Guru

Fair points all, but getting rid of the discs seemed a sensible idea to me. Obviously they perform better (but probably only a lot better in the wet) but they are heavy, not as easy to fidde with (especially for a cack janded mechanic such as I... :) ) and, most importantly, XTR Vs look a lot cooler 8)

The Proclass were a bit of a random decision- saw them for a good price and bought them, it rides a lot better with them I think. If I had space/permission for a proper 'stable' I would probably have kept it rigid but the newer set up makes it more versatile I reckon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:13 am 
Retro Guru

AndyMc wrote:
Fair points all, but getting rid of the discs seemed a sensible idea to me. Obviously they perform better (but probably only a lot better in the wet) but they are heavy, not as easy to fidde with (especially for a cack janded mechanic such as I... :) ) and, most importantly, XTR Vs look a lot cooler 8)

I don't think that something like Magura Marta SL's are a lot heavier, to be honest, and one of the advantages of disc brakes is that you don't need to fiddle with them much (if at all) other than changing pads ( a 1 minute job). And anyway - it seems to be wet most of the year now :cry:

All down to personal preference at the end of the day though - still a nice ride 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:30 am 
Retro Guru

The previous discs were Hayes Nines/Avid Juicys and I never found the performance *that* great despite a few trips to the LBS for bleeding etc.

To be honest my riding time is somewhat limited these days due to keeping Mrs Mc and the mini Mcs entertained, but I still have the discs in the shed anyway should I go back (or forward, depending on which way you look at at :D )

Perfect excuse to build a new bike in the future though... 'I've got most of the bits I need already, honest' :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:41 am 
Retro Guru

AndyMc wrote:
Perfect excuse to build a new bike in the future though... 'I've got most of the bits I need already, honest' :lol:
But of course !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: VooDoo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I like that, but a short cage rear mech would be more practical and save a whole bundle of weight and much snappier changes, with no flapping about. The long cage is just not necessary with only a single ring up front.
I would stick with discs also, far better in all conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 am 
Retro Guru

With the long cage I have the option to change the gears around if I want, but I stand by the vees vs discs... :D In fairness I have to be honest about how much stopping power I actually need... I live in London and when I do get out I'm hardly flying down mountains :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:55 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

Really like this 8) think you've hit a good mix of modern and retro going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master

AndyMc wrote:
With the long cage I have the option to change the gears around if I want, but I stand by the vees vs discs... :D In fairness I have to be honest about how much stopping power I actually need... I live in London and when I do get out I'm hardly flying down mountains :wink:

I run a short cage even on a front triple, I see the point on the hills in London? South Downs aren't too far away though, melt those V's down Ditchling beacon hill? :D