A 2008 spec, 95 Kona Hahanna - Retro and not so retro

richi78

Devout Dirtbag
Wasn't sure where to post this, so as a lot of the components used in the build are brand new I opted for the safety of the post 98 section - even though she's retro at heart!

Similar to what a lot of people have done over the past 12 months or so, I thought I would have a go at making a Singlespeed bike.

I have owned a '95 Kona Hahanna from new and used it fairly regularly until 2007 when I upgraded to a 2006 Kona Dawg. The Hahanna had changed a lot from its origininal incarnation with many parts upgraded or replaced when needed. However, a modern racer it was not!

Upon moving to Manhattan last summer, I started to ride around the city fairly regularly. Whilst the Dawg was capable, it certainly wasnt suitable as a city bike. Rather than invest in a brand new bike, I thought I would recommission the old Hahanna and give her another shot at life.

Unfortunately I dont have a before picture, but here is a similar one I found on the web (apologies if it is of someone here's bike)

131361406_5fe1f05ab3.jpg

A lovely shade of bronze I think that you will agree. Mine had a set of blue RST forks, blue riser bars and a short planet X stem. Other than that, no major visual differences.

So how to upgrade into a modern retro build? Forks where the first thing to be bought and I opted for a set of Carbon Rigids that I think complement the frame well. They will also give me a bit more comfort over the uneven road surfaces here. I then decided to upgrade to Disc brakes and chose a set of Avid BB7's after a number of recommendations on various sites. Of course that meant a new set of wheels, but I got my hands on a decent set for a reasonable price. Once I then got all the single speed conversion pieces I had to wait for another 3 months before I was due to head back to Blighty, were I had 2 days to strip the old bike down, prep and paint the frame, fit the forks with the new headset and test build to see if it all fitted. I managed to get this done in between Turkey sandwiches and whilst the paint job is not perfect, it is good enough for me.

So, back to the US now and starting to fit the new peices. I'm still waiting on a few more parts (rear brake, levers, cables, new saddle and seat post) to finalise the build but here is how she looks so far. A couple of before and after stickers shots.

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

Unable to get the Hahanna original decals, I opted for the Explosif ones, just to get the set. I had no intention of trying to pass the bike of as a higher model, but wanted something on that front end... a moment of inspiration later and this was the result.

DSC00766.jpg

I'll post up the final pictures once all the new parts are assembled and she's ready to hit the road. I'll also complete a full spec list.

I know that I could have done this cheaper, but if a job is worth doing, etc..... I have thoroughly enjoyed the planning, buying and building of this project and can't wait to get her out where she belongs.

Thanks to those that gave input on questions I had about the build and also thanks to those that gave inspiration with some of the excellent bikes found on this site.

Hi Rich,

That is rather nice.

Love the SS decal - will surely raise a smile for people in the know.

What make are the carbon forks?

Any recommendations for bike shops in NYC as I'm heading over the pond on the 5th for a week and a bit.

Cheers,

mark

cheers mark. I cant wait to get it properly finished, I think it will look even better!

The forks are ebay specials for abot $140. They are made by carboncycles and are identical to white bros version, but nearly half the price.

here is the first review I read about them

http://one9.us/blog/cycling/exotic-carb ... rk-preview

and here is the link to the white bros ones

http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/rock.shtml

There are a few good bike shops in manhattan. Sids bikes is good and helpfull. There are also a few in soho that get good reviews, but I haven't tried them yet. But, as with the uk, the best deals are found online and I have been mainly using pricepoint.com and jensonusa.com to get my bits.

If you want to order anything, you can have them delivered to me and you can collect whilst you are over.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the forks fella- saw them on the bay over here very cheap (85 quid new) and was really tempted even though I don't have a need for them... yet ;)

Looking good - it should ride well too :cool:

You've kept your options open though - I see that you've left the gear cable stops intact :)

I'll post an update on the forks once I have got the bike on the road and put a few miles on them. One of the reasons I opted for Carbon rather than Alu or Steel was the softening of the bumps as I havent ridden fully rigid in years (I think I upgraded to some 96 Marzocchi XCR's within months of buying the Hahanna new!).

Yes - keeping options open with the cable guides, etc.. If I get on with the single speed set up, I'll probably make a few modifications to the frame and remove the cable stays, fill the holes and also weld on a proper rear disc mount rather than the adapater I am using at the moment. I'll then get the frame properly prepped and either a good paint job or powder coating.

Finally managed to get her in a rideable state and went out for the maiden ride this morning - despite the cold temp!

Build 95% finished (awaiting black seat post and possibly sope ss specific black cranks):-

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

Out and about:-

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

First impressions are very positive, the bike feels light, nimble and very responsive. The forks do a good job of soaking up the worst of the bumps. The gearing is good and I could even afford to go lower (currently 42:1:cool: as the bike will almost exclusivly be for road use. Just need to tweek the brakes and get those final parts and the project will be finished.

This is the first build I have ever done and its very addictive. I already find myself on ebay scouting for the next one!

Proper job :cool: should look even better with the black post, existing cranks look good too. Saddles a bit of a sofa though, but if it fits yer arse wel.......... :LOL:

Frame: Kona Hahanna 1995

Fork: Exotic Carbon Rigid

Headset: FSA Pig
Stem: Planet X
Handlebar: Club Roost (resprayed matt black)
Grips: Sette

Brakes: Avid BB7
Brake Pads: Avid
Brake Cables: SRAM
Brake Levers: Avid

Shifter: N/A
Rear Derailleur: N/A
Chain: Gusset Bling Half Link Chain (Gold)
Cranks: Shimano LX
Chainring: Shiman0 (42)
Bottom Bracket: Unknown
Pedals: DMR V8

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Sun DS2
Hubs: DX
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Nokian NBT

Saddle: WTB Speed V
Seatpost: Unknown

Very nice built and liked the pics, it brought memories back seeing that bridge as I was there on holiday back in June '98.

Enjoy the Kona :)

Back