Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:00 pm 
Dirt Disciple

What are you using for the disc brake adaptor in back and how's it working out for you?

Is that one of those A2Z models? If so, is it working out okay even though your frame is steel (they recommend using it with AL frames)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:21 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Yes - using the A2Z adapter. Its not an ideal fit (there is a block that should fit flush with the frame - but it doesnt). The rear drop out is flat, but the area is not big enough to be able to rotate the adapter to fit in its ideal position. However, once it is clamped on tightly there is no chance of it moving around. The bike is only really going to be used on the road and most of the braking is up front so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm still waiting to get the new seat post (ordered one but got the wrong size!) and have managed to get the chain to fit perfectly without a tensioner, so it looks a lot cleaner. Will get some updated photos up once all finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I'm about to convert a 1995 Fire Mountain to a 700c CX type conversion and I'm hoping some FMF V-brakes are going to get the job done in back.

I suspect you need a 27.0 seatpost right?

I'll be sure and post up my finished project.

Here is the Inspiration bike:

And here's what I'm working with for my conversion:

And here's a look at the FMF brakes on a hardtail converted to 650b wheels. See all that room to still move the pads up top - I'm hoping that'll be enough for the 700c rims.

What gear ratio are you running to get a tensioner-less chainline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:17 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

As the bike is mainly used on road, I'm running 42 up front and 18 at the back. Its just about right for now, but I can see me dropping down to a 16 or 14 at the back as I'm spinning out at times. Luckily Manhattan is fairly flat!

I have a chain made up entirely of half links so it makes adjustment easy. When I first put it on, I tried to join the chain with the wheels in place and couldnt quite pull the chain together enough to join it. So added a half link and used the tensioner as seen in the pictures above.

I then had the brain wave that the length was very nearly right and that if I took that half link out, rejoined it, slipped it over the rear cog and then slotted the wheel in, it may work - luckily it did and the tension is spot on (about half inch flex - doubt it could get any tighter).

I had conflicting info about the seat post size, so picked up an electronic micrometer last night to measure it. Turns out its a 26.4, so post is now ordered and on its way. Looking forward to getting her finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Lovely bike, colour scheme is great, sort of reminds me of the Standard Trailboss that Jimmy Levan rode in Road Fools one :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:44 pm 
Two Fat Ladies

richi78 wrote:
Yes - using the A2Z adapter. Its not an ideal fit (there is a block that should fit flush with the frame - but it doesnt). The rear drop out is flat, but the area is not big enough to be able to rotate the adapter to fit in its ideal position. However, once it is clamped on tightly there is no chance of it moving around. The bike is only really going to be used on the road and most of the braking is up front so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm still waiting to get the new seat post (ordered one but got the wrong size!) and have managed to get the chain to fit perfectly without a tensioner, so it looks a lot cleaner. Will get some updated photos up once all finished.

Hey,
How's the a2z disk adaptor coming on? Still holding tight? What do you think o it?
Any chance of some close up pic's of it as i've been thinking of one myself! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:35 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Hi,

The A2Z is holding up well. Its not the perfect solution and I think eventually I'll try and get a proper mount welded on, but for the time being it is doing the job just fine.

Here is a close up pic of it and I have highlighted with red circles where it just fits around the rear triangle tubes. As you can see, there was only just enough flat area on the drop out to get it fitted. Additionally, the whole mount is supposed to be rotated abuot 35 degrees anticlockwise so that the silver block buts up against the tube (indicated by red arrow). Again, this is the best fit I could get.

Also - finally got the right seat post and opted for a new saddle. Here she is in current finished form.

Next part of the project will be to take off the cable guides, weld on a proper rear disc mount, remove the canti bosses and get her powder coated. Thinking of going for a dark grey/gun metal colour as already finding the white a pain to keep clean! Possibly the same as her fat sister pictured here - you can probably tell that space is at a premium in NYC Apartments!

Is a project ever truely finished?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I like that a lot.

There is simple and there is elegant. Your Kona SS is definately the latter.

Respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:32 am 
Retro Guru

really nice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:42 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I had a similar problem with the A2Z adaptor on my cindercone.

Not sure whether it is clear from the picture but I cut away some of the silver outer plate so that it cleared the chain stays. works a treat now.