Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:36 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Weight
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 am
Posts: 7563
Location: North Yorkshire
They're in my LBS, there's a lot of light kit on it, as I said the bars and stem 2getha are sub 200g, Mechs are sub 300 for both, Superonic tubes 97g each. XTR chainset would be heavier and don't like 44 big rings, Whats wrong woth Brit Kit on it anyway? Pace forks are much easier to service, lighter and look far better and work well, not at all bothered whats politically correct, thats for Wuss's! It looks and rides well, thats all that matters to me! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:17 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
18 lbs with a full complement of gears and front suss?? I must be going wrong then!
My Single speed Hei Hei has carbon and magnesium rigid RC31's, Ti BB, Ti bolts, Ti chainring bolts, carbon post, Supersonic tubes and Bonty Jones tyres, Cooks RSR's single speed with TA front ring and an alloy Surley sprocket, KMC X9 SL chain, Ti bars, Real levers, bar tape, Ti stix etc etc and comes out at 17.9 lbs on some really accurate fishing scales. Even with all the kit you have on there I think 18 is a tad optimistic- would love to be proved wrong though, it's a rather nice looking machine and looks like it will ride real well.

Si


Last edited by Dr S on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:58 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 1811
Location: St Ives,Cambridgeshire
That does seem light, my Merlin with Crossmax and Sids weighed in over 22lbs, but I didn't have all the Ti bolts so who knows

How light can a bike get before its too featherweight and the handling
is affected?
I feel a bit happier with the extra weight and stronger kit, got the S-Works built up and it's about 24lb,just right for me ride and confidence wise


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:28 am 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm
Posts: 12314
Location: Branston, Lincoln
Huntso wrote:
How light can a bike get before its too featherweight and the handling is affected?
I feel a bit happier with the extra weight and stronger kit, got the S-Works built up and it's about 24lb,just right for me ride and confidence wise


Here here.

24/25lbs is where I feel happiest. Not too heavy, not too light. A happy balance.

18lbs is road terratory, and there is no way I'd feel happy thrashing a bike about in the woods that is the weight of a fecking road bike :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:32 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 8202
Location: New Forest, UK
swap to a Middleburn Duo, you can then go to a medium or perhaps even a short cage rear and double front mech. See if a swap of Gripshift right for an XT thumbie saves anything.

If you have excess seatpost over a safe 100mm inside the seat tube, chop it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:46 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
Theres nothing wrong with a 18lb build if used accordingly. It great for XC and trail centre red routes- I sure wouldn't want to launch it of big drop offs into rock gardens but I wouldn't do that on any retro rig anyway. All the bits on Wolds bike are tried and tested and can be found on any build- same with mine, it's just all those light bits have been combined together to make a light bike as a whole.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16747
Location: Yorkshire, England
Not thumbies they weigh more if I remember (~190g) unless you get Suntour XC but they are still not as light, Gripshift are just plastic, and a very small amount of metal and for SRT's they around around 120g Also they would just look wrong.

What's all this about swapping components to double rings, I assume this is suppose to be a full build not a half build weight weenies project :roll:

what Cassette is is by the way ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 am
Posts: 7563
Location: North Yorkshire
Breakdown of actual weights (from my Assayed scales) Another 2 pounds would be very easy, as a Ti Cassette would take off another 80+g, plenty of 150 saddles now, Maxlite tyres another 320g KCnc Brakes another 150g, Foam Grips,-25, Seatclamps a plenty sub 15g, sub 1400g wheelset? Oh yes and I know I haven't included pedals, as I keep swapping these!
Where people go wrong is with the big stuff, like tyres Cassette and BB also Skewers Shimano V's these is over a quarter of a pound alone.

Frame (inc Bottle cage bolts) 1430
Wheels 1573
Skewers (Control Tec Ti Allen) 44
Tubes (Conti Supersonic) 190
Tyres 943
V Brakes(inc all Ti Bolts) 306
Brake Levers 140
Shifters 138
Grips 54
Bars Titec 53cms 90
Stem Syntace inc cap + TiKit 95
Headset (King) 97
Forks 1390
BB 157
Cranks/Bolts n Rings 601
Seatpost(cut down Easton Carbon) 165
Saddle (Flite Ti) 215
Seat Clamp 41
Cassette n Chain 504
Front Mech 95
Rear Mech 183
Cables 143
8594 Total (18.9 in English)


Last edited by Wold Ranger on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:11 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 10942
Location: kent
Pickle wrote:
Huntso wrote:
How light can a bike get before its too featherweight and the handling is affected?
I feel a bit happier with the extra weight and stronger kit, got the S-Works built up and it's about 24lb,just right for me ride and confidence wise


Here here.

24/25lbs is where I feel happiest. Not too heavy, not too light. A happy balance.

18lbs is road terratory, and there is no way I'd feel happy thrashing a bike about in the woods that is the weight of a fecking road bike :shock:


road bike weight a lot less than that , around the 6kg is not unsual now , even with stock products , nothing exotix ( aprt from wheels ) .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:41 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am
Posts: 15804
Location: near cwmcarn
Wold Ranger wrote:
Breakdown of actual weights (from my Assayed scales) Another 2 pounds would be very easy, as a Ti Cassette would take off another 80+g, plenty of 150 saddles now, Maxlite tyres another 320g KCnc Brakes another 150g, Foam Grips,-25, Seatclamps a plenty sub 15g, sub 1400g wheelset? Oh yes and I know I haven't included pedals, as I keep swapping these!
Where people go wrong is with the big stuff, like tyres Cassette and BB also Skewers Shimano V's these is over a quarter of a pound alone.

Frame (inc Bottle cage bolts) 1430
Wheels 1573
Skewers (Control Tec Ti Allen) 44
Tubes (Conti Supersonic) 190
Tyres 943
V Brakes(inc all Ti Bolts) 306
Brake Levers 140
Shifters 138
Grips 54
Bars Titec 53cms 90
Stem Syntace inc cap + TiKit 95
Headset (King) 97
Forks 1390
BB 157
Cranks/Bolts n Rings 601
Seatpost(cut down Easton Carbon) 165
Saddle (Flite Ti) 215
Seat Clamp 41
Cassette 224
Front Mech 95
Rear Mech 183
Cables 143
8314 Total (18.3 in English)


no mention of a chain, thats another 1/2lb :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group