"Platsa Blue" 95 Explosif Singlespeed

Andy R

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I did wonder about posting this here, as I'm sure someone will question its true "retro-ness" and also because some of you will have seen it before.
This is however probably its final build state (well, for this winter at least :) ) and the only likely changes will be odd times that I use Magura Asgard forks or I find a 29" front wheel to try. It seems destined to be a work in progress...
The only thing that I should have done was braze on a centre top tube hose guide, hence the cable tie :oops: .

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4,546
  • Caliper-mount.jpg
    Caliper-mount.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4,546
  • Platsa-Blue-SS-1.jpg
    Platsa-Blue-SS-1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 4,546
Thank you kindly Sir !!

I'm struggling a little bit on it at the minute though, as I've been laid up with some bronchitis-y thing and haven't done much for a couple of weeks.
There's a club run on Sunday starting right outside our house - I really should show willing and get out (they'll be mostly using my local trails after all) - plus there's a XC race on the same day, so all the whippets will hopefully be otherwise occupied so that'll save me some potential humiliation then :roll:

kill him , thats not retro :LOL:

how do you get on with the bb ?

what ensures both cups are aligned ?

i asume the bearings are replaceable ?

looks good

perry":18z2xv3k said:

looks good

I get on with the BB fine - I've not had any problems with slippage, creaking etc. Nothing ensures that both cups are aligned, except by eye, or using a steel rule or something across the graduations. One thing that I will do when I have it stripped down next is drill a couple of 6mm dia blind holes in the outside of the cups and then make a "C" spanner to fit, as otherwise turning the cup on the driveside is a bit of a fiddly job to say the least.

The bearings are standard 6805 2RS - 37x25x7mm.

A good bit of kit but obscenely expensive for what it is - I was lucky and bought mine (unused) from a friend who went off the whole SS idea.
If you are using XT cranks you have to machine off the granny ring bosses for clearance.

You might be interested in this too -

http://www.forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/

Andy R":1p34r8mx said:
Thank you kindly Sir !!

I'm struggling a little bit on it at the minute though, as I've been laid up with some bronchitis-y thing and haven't done much for a couple of weeks.
There's a club run on Sunday starting right outside our house - I really should show willing and get out (they'll be mostly using my local trails after all) - plus there's a XC race on the same day, so all the whippets will hopefully be otherwise occupied so that'll save me some potential humiliation then :roll:

Don't need to go fast on a bike like that, as my man said' I'll be too busy lookin good :cool:'

nice link to the eccentric hub, will be watching

I just found a similar product here. I am tempted to try either one.

Andy R":2xr8qkn2 said:
perry":2xr8qkn2 said:

looks good

I get on with the BB fine - I've not had any problems with slippage, creaking etc. Nothing ensures that both cups are aligned, except by eye, or using a steel rule or something across the graduations. One thing that I will do when I have it stripped down next is drill a couple of 6mm dia blind holes in the outside of the cups and then make a "C" spanner to fit, as otherwise turning the cup on the driveside is a bit of a fiddly job to say the least.

The bearings are standard 6805 2RS - 37x25x7mm.

A good bit of kit but obscenely expensive for what it is - I was lucky and bought mine (unused) from a friend who went off the whole SS idea.
If you are using XT cranks you have to machine off the granny ring bosses for clearance.

You might be interested in this too -

Back