A budget On One Inbred build

moonlite

Kona Fan
I thought it was time to try documenting a build I've been working on for a couple of months. It's an On One Inbred which I got as a well-used frame after becoming too impatient for the perfect Kona Explosif to come up for sale in Australia (of course one did a few weeks after I'd blown the budget on this).

Build philosophy was to find cheap and cheerful used parts on Ebay and, when possible, rescue bits from my stash which had been in storage since moving to Australia a year ago. I wanted it to be a quick-and-dirty build but it's turned out to be slow and dirty.

Here's the frame as it arrived. No idea of the year but it's pre-sliding dropouts. I had some Kona P2 forks which I thought would work well with it -- everything else needed to be found and fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 1,291
  • IMG_3754.jpg
    IMG_3754.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_3753.jpg
    IMG_3753.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 1,291
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 1,292
Wow -- those pics came out large!

Here's the fork.

Attachments

• IMG_3761.jpg
    IMG_3761.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 1,275
Some parts off eBay.

Finding the right size of seatpost collar proved a little more challenging than originally imagined -- especially to the impatient shopper -- so this attractive shade of orange was the best option.

This colour choice has had far-reaching implications for the build . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 1,223
Decent Selle Italia in a complementary colour for not too much moola.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 1,205
  • IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,205
Slight hitch today: I found a nice XT crankset and bottom bracket of the right 68mm width on eBay. It was a little rough but it seemed to make sourcing the correct bits a lot simpler, but today I really struggled to get the right-hand (drive side) bearing to screw in. I gave the threads a good cleaning out with WD40 and a stiff wire brush on a hand drill and applied lots of grease but it just didn't seem to want to go more than a few turns.

Taking the frame to the next town to get the threads chased may be the best option but it would be a huge hassle and have to wait until the new year. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• DSC_9009.jpg
    DSC_9009.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 1,106
No progress on the BB yet but a few bits have come in for the brakes setup.

Some nearly-new Dia Compe Mk2 levers which the owner removed from his bike when he bought it -- presumably to upgrade.

And some very-used STX-RC V-brakes which should come up nicely with a good clean and some new pads. They came with the noodles and bolts so should be quite easy to install.

Attachments

• 20201230-IMG_4389.jpg
    20201230-IMG_4389.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 977
  • 20201107-stx rc cantis 2.jpg
    20201107-stx rc cantis 2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 977
This looks like it will turn into a cool build.
Are those levers compatible with V brakes? I'm probably wrong but I thought those dia compes pre dated v's, so will only have enough cable pull for cantis, not enough for v's... If they don't pull enough, you won't have working brakes. You could get adapters to replace the v-noodle, which increased the pull, but I'd imagine they'd be hard to find these days.

Re:

Cool Singlespeed project! (Or does it have a mech hanger?).
I've had a couple of the Inbred frames, I really like them.
I'd try the brake levers with the V-brakes first, although it doesn't look like they'd be compatible you might find the braking is adequate, it's happened with me in the past, even though it "shouldn't " have worked.

albash82":11935ulf said:
This looks like it will turn into a cool build.
Are those levers compatible with V brakes? I'm probably wrong but I thought those dia compes pre dated v's, so will only have enough cable pull for cantis, not enough for v's... If they don't pull enough, you won't have working brakes. You could get adapters to replace the v-noodle, which increased the pull, but I'd imagine they'd be hard to find these days.

Good point -- I kind of just assumed they would work. I'll soon find out I guess!

Re: Re:

jimo746":2jpyzsef said:
Cool Singlespeed project! (Or does it have a mech hanger?).
I've had a couple of the Inbred frames, I really like them.
I'd try the brake levers with the V-brakes first, although it doesn't look like they'd be compatible you might find the braking is adequate, it's happened with me in the past, even though it "shouldn't " have worked.

No mech hanger -- it's got the same 'track ends' as the Pompino I used to commute on in London. The whole rear triangle is almost identical.

As for the brakes, I have a couple of old sets of levers I can swap if these don't work. Or there are those roller things you can get to increase the pull -- those came on my Airborne Carpe Diem.

Attachments

• 20201020-IMG_3757.jpg
    20201020-IMG_3757.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 904

Latest posts

Back