Orange Mr XC - tinyness!

mamadirt

Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
This lovely little thing arrived yesterday - big thanks to Lockwood - top service and awesome packaging - cheers Dave!

p5pb17800154.jpg

Fell in love with the colour instantly :facepalm: - I have a good feeling about this one - small, lightweight, old and definitely good for one more run - we've bonded already ;) Going to be a slow burner though due to lack of funds but I can always poach bits from papadirt's Kona :twisted:

p5pb17800172.jpg

p5pb17800182.jpg

Frame is in great condition considering it's 20 years old - bit of paint bubbling and a few decal scuffs in need of a bit of mama tlc :cool:

p5pb17800166.jpg

p5pb17800170.jpg

Aiming for a lightweight DH-esque build - like a mini Patriot for tiny folk :p

Frame is stamped '99 but I'm planning on using early 2K bits (my fave era) :cool:

Bargain basement forks have arrived - zero oil but a couple of cups of rusty water :shock:
2002 Fox Vanilla 125RL but travel will prob be reduced to 100 or maybe even 80mm

p5pb17813400.jpg

Damper side is immaculate and fully working but spring side . . . well, I do like a challenge :facepalm:

p5pb17813396.jpg

Not too worried about the stanchion wear as I do have previous with repair but that top bushing is completely shot. Not wanting to spend too much cash I'm thinking 3D printed bushing replacement (lower is fine) . . .

Forks are getting there - still very much work in progress (awaiting new seals and unsure which way to go with that shot bushing) but looking loads better after a bit of tlc. Stem arrived today too - needs new bolts but totally unmarked :cool:

p5pb17818037.jpg

Looking a lot tidier already, love these restoration threads you do. There must be a whole load of MD approved and restored frames out there!

Cheers! :D

Sourced most of the bits now aside from wheels but I still need to complete the brakeset (got a bucket of Hope Mini bits and pieces undergoing rebuild). Hoping to get it up and running soon though with papadirt's wheels and Hayes HFX - I think he's already done his annual bike ride this year :LOL:

Re:

What are you doing with the stanchion wear? Is it a short term cosmetic fix or have you developed a more permanent repair?

Not quite sure how the fork repair will pan out. The stanchions are now looking better and feeling super smooth but how they'll hold up in use remains to be seen.

p5pb17861776.jpg

Similarly the bushing repair . . . we tried a 3D printed bushing but were unable to get the material thin enough, first attempt with PTFE tape was too thin but 0.5mm strips seem to have done the job so long as the adhesive is oil resistant. Slightly oversized atm so they'll need to be rubbed back a tad.

p5pb17861774.jpg

If it doesn't hold up then nothing lost - it's been fun and the forks cost me peanuts. May even be worth looking for another pair to butcher for parts. Hoping to get them rebuilt this week with new seals so we'll see . . .

Great little frame, used to have a car that colour many moons ago :cool:

Looking forward to it built so you can see the size betterer.

Latest posts

Back