Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:18 am 
Retro Guru

I thought I'd start a rebuild thread for my newly acquired San An, which I technically bought myself for my 50th birthday (otherwise my wife would probably have blown a grand on some hotel stay and meal, which while nice, is not really a present for me as I don't really like going away, especially to hotels (unless it also involves seeing Kate Bush play live, (ooh, double, nay, triple parentheses))). I bought it from Totoro waaay over west of the Pennines, bandit country for a Yorkshireman by proxy.

So, here it was as I bought it. TT's pics.

I didn't really know what I was going to do with it as ideally, I'd wanted a mid 1990's bike but this is most likely 2005 so I thought I'd kinda retroify it back to the '90s, sort of. I've been steadily buying parts since and have stripped it down completely. Brakes were shot as the owner told me and it was a little too low and cramped for my size so with a quick and cheap purchase of a "try out stem" and some other goodies to wait in the wings I started.

Much better fit but of course the shock virtually bottoms out with my bulk on it. I've bought a shock pump in the meantime but I'd already dismantled the bike before that arrived. Red theme has subconsciously asserted itself and the original intention was to vapour blast the frame and forks and powder coat the main spar and fork legs in the same red MC colour.

Home made bearing press for the rear arm.

Ready to go off for blasting tomorrow. I've changed my mind about the red frame and will start with keeping the main spar in the muted vapour blast finish and I'll polish up the rear arm and seat tower. I'm still getting the fork lowers PPC'd in red (what code??? see other thread) and if I still feel like going red on main, at least I can still get that done rather than have it done now and making a mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:37 am 
Retro Guru

Don't know what had been going on here but someone had been mounting "things" to the bar and stem in that time-honoured fashion of drilling and tapping into the handlebar and stem. :shock: :shock:

A long long time ago, when I were just a lad, I threaded the clamp bolt on my Cinelli stem. Being just a boy I couldn't just go and buy a new one so I drilled through and put a bolt in

( my dad had lots of rusty OXO boxes of bolts and stuff in his shed IT HASN'T RUBBED OFF ON ME!!! NO!

Shortly after successfully re-vamping my stem and saving me cash I didn't have, I was sprinting out of the saddle when the stem collapsed. The broken metal slashed my jeans and jusssstttt grazed my inner thigh as I crashed headlong into the tarmac with no helmet on. Oof, no head trauma, well externally at least, except I could no longer trust any alloy stem and could no longer commit to fast riding on my bike until about 1989 when I switched to MTBS, bought a new Saracen Tufftrax and a new Tioga T-Bone stem. Needless to say, that nonsense up there has gone in the bin!

Don't feel free to comment on the irony of me buying a Ringle Zooka. I've had one on the other bike for 24 years and apart from two new endcaps, it's been fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:47 am 
Retro Guru

Parts so far, front and rear XT derailleurs bought from here, cleaned and rebuilt with some lovely red hope jockeys.
A set of Hope disc brakes.
£35 for a wheel with Hope Big un??? Facebook market place. There's another in the post but only problem is I've just realised the rear is 36 and the front is 32 which is going to make finding matching rims a bit of a bind.
Minty Flite Ti hidden under a towel to protect it in the mucky workshop, and just lots of stuff still needed to do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:00 am 
Retro Guru

I have a feeling this is going to be a great build, looking forward to seeing it progress!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 am 
Retro Guru

Going to be a great build, that bigun is in great nick £35 was a bargain.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Timoth27 wrote:
Going to be a great build, that bigun is in great nick £35 was a bargain.

I know. I was straight in the car to York to pick it up. :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Yeah mines showing it’s age now, mind you it’s been on my heckler since it was new in 97 so not bad going really.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:35 pm 
Retro Guru

In that case, how do I get the bearings out? I’ve not looked closely at it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:43 pm 
Retro Guru

The end caps aren't so much caps, they screw into each other.
The bearings will normally either stay in the hub and can be knocked out, or will stay on the end caps.
Just took a pic of one of mine.
For ref. the 20mm adapters just push in.

Attachments:
bigun.jpg
bigun.jpg [ 40.36 KiB | Viewed 3436 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 pm 
Retro Guru

Ah thanks, so just a soft grip needed to undo them.
I nipped along to our local bearing supplier only to find it closed shop nearly ten years ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next