Kinesis UK Decade Virtue Prestige 2009ish

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hiya Retrobikers,
Finally built!
The Virtue has been on the to do list for too long I bought it from Liam 1611 some time a few years ago, maybe 2012! Ever since I've been collecting bits even though it was never a main bike, though I already prefer it to my old Bfe. Both this and the BFE by the way are/were a bit too small, so I'm not sure what it's long term plan is, without the stretch it's not really XC and its not really Jumpy either. Fun Spritely bike it is though.

I might rob some transmission in the future for a bigger bike and maybe go SS on this, Similarly Forks might go over to my 18" Mk3 Trailstar, so who knows, seems only fair to try all it's variations.
I quite like how I've ended up with a matching colour scheme on the parts, black black and grey and white and also roughly an almost matching Deore M615 groupset. 1x10.
Initially I had the heavy On One Chunky Monkey and Smorgs tyres so after matching a new Kenda tyre for the front I shed a bit of weight and got it down to under 29lbs which is reasonable for a bike that's still reasonably tough.
I wasn't sure about lack of bar height 20mm rise but I've turned up compression on the forks quite a bit and sped up rebound at 125-130mm travel and it feels a bit better, again might be down to size being a bit small. I'm 6ft 2 with 34" long troosers...
Fork options I could swap out to a 115mm QR Reba and lace up some XM719 wheels and maybe SS to free up bits and try a light build.
It's great I'm just not sure where it fits in in the fleet, equally I'm not keen to sell it just yet either.

Comments and constructive Feedback welcome.

Frame: KUK Decade Virtue 18"

Fork: RockShox Sektor RL U Turn 110-150 2011

Headset: FSA Orbit MX Red
Stem: Thomson 70mm - Currently 60mm with rish Funn Stringe
Handlebar: Easton Monkeybar EA70 20mm rise 720mm wide
Grips: RaceFace slip on

Brakes: Deore M615

Shifter: Shimano Zee 10s
Rear Derailleur: Deore M615 with clutch shadow plus
Derailleur Cables: Mix of Jagwire and Shimano!
Cassette: XT M771 10 speed
Chain: KMX X93
Cranks: SLX M665
Chainrings: 35t E13 The Hive blue
Bottom Bracket: SLX
Pedals: DMR V6 or DMR Vault

Hub Skewers: Hope and 20mm Maxle
Rims: Mavic En521
Hubs: Nuke Proof Generator and Hope Pro 2 Evo (Hope Hoops)
Tyres: Kenda Nevegal and Blue Groove
Tubes: nowt special

Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL CR/Ti Alloy rail
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2 x 410
Seatpost Binder: Hope red

Weight: 28.8 Lbs

Attachments

• decade2 RB Small.jpg
    decade2 RB Small.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,644
  • decade graphics RB Small.jpg
    decade graphics RB Small.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,643
  • decade prestige RB Small.jpg
    decade prestige RB Small.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,643
  • decade sekto2r RB Small.jpg
    decade sekto2r RB Small.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,642
  • decade Virtue RB Small.jpg
    decade Virtue RB Small.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,642
  • decade3 RB Small.jpg
    decade3 RB Small.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 1,644
Very nice.

I wouldnt mind knowing how it rides, how flexy it is.

And when/if you do ever decide to sell i would be interested :)

mark

That's ace! Great frame, I loved mine. I'm same height as you though and yeah, it was just a little too short... Absolute singletrack hooligan of a bike though and the colour and graphics are ace. Yours looks in great nick, mine got abused as my daily commute / do it all weapon. Kind of regret selling it, but times change....

Thank you Al, I have recently and probably previously read your thread only just notice yours went years ago. Well this one is only an 18! So in my mind much of the bits are wasted on it as it will get limited use as it is. Weighing up a spendy whole posh frame and big wheels and fork or if a 20 of these comes along see about that. Strangely the head angle steepens .5 degree on the 20. My 18 inch Trailstar frame will probably be the same size just a more relaxed seat tube giving illusion of a longer TT and a shorter rear by 6mm. If I keep this I'm thinking single speed with shortest chainstay and rigid or smaller forks.
I have just found a Funn Stringe stem in my junk that's a bit of rise on it. It's only a 60mm though.

Thanks Mark. It feels more strong and playful so far rather than flexy but feels nice. It's early days for testing I don't get out much!!
Will let you know if I decide to part it out. Cheers.

Good to see more of these. I'll need to see if there's a recent photo of mine to add.
I've had it for ages now and I've hardly changed a thing, it just works and fits like a glove.
I love the colours and graphics. Bit heavy when built with tough stuff but so comfy and fun.

Thanks, I've seen other say they can end up a little heavy built with Pikes etc, I'm quite chuffed mine is well under 29lbs, and the build currently suits the frame. Could go a little lighter with rims and forks perhaps but lose some durability. My Trailstar 3 frame would immediately add 1lb to the weight of this with a frame swap!
I've still not had chance for further tests. Busy, but avoiding gloop too! I've found my 60mm Funn Stringe stem which is shorter but has a little rise. Also bagged some new low profile DMR V6 pedals which will also help slightly.
I'm keeping an eye on discounts on pricey brand new large frames, or larger Decades - large isn't lots longer though. So will see! If I do keep this I'll try SS and Reba or Rigid forks. Or may sell - If so will let you know first. :) Cheers

So I had a few emergency purchases including a few 853 frames, both bigger than this. I had interest out if nowhere in the Decade from a FB mate and seller of one of the purchased frames. He seemed keen and feeling guilty from purchases arriving in the post I split down the decade, it only took about one hour! I was planning on rigid and SS but selling a slightly small frame made sense... Then I cooled off when he didn't want it but threw it in a £1 listing day on eBay. Edit 60 days later and It's sold!
If a large shows up I might build another, in the meantime got a small DMR Switchback to build....

Back