My Azonic DS1 Project

rich860

Dirt Disciple
I had an Azonic DS1 when I was a kid, favourite bike I ever had. Sold it for pittance to help pay for a car around 10 years ago. These pictures are from 2004:

p4pb108136.jpg

p4pb108137.jpg

I would often search the pinkbike classifieds and eBay looking for any frames coming up for sale. When they did they were often quite tired or I just wouldnt bite the bullet for whatever reason.

One day a guy put 4 NOS Azonic DS1 frames for sale up on pinkbike. His friend had kept them in the back room of his bike shop in Poland. I couldn't miss out on this opportunity so got one ordered (almost ordered 2!):

p5pb15461872.jpg

I still believe it's one of the nicest looking hardtail frames made!

First decision to make was which forks to go for. I had Marzocchi Z1 CR forks on my old one, these were great forks and looked awesome. I did consider getting another set but opted for a set of 2002 Marzocchi Shiver SC's:

p5pb15779468.jpg

The Shivers are in excellent condition, although I will be giving the crown a paint and I've ordered some new decals.

Recently I've been thinking about looking for some Dorado SC's instead of the Shivers. Cant make up my mind... although I'm leaning towards the Dorados if I can find any! Anyone have any input?

I managed to pick up a NOS MRP off the same guy who sold me the frame. He had another contact in Poland who didn't speak English so well, so he brokered the deal for me.

I ended up getting a NOS MRP Slalom as well as a World Cup as I also have a 2003 Intense M1 I want to refurbish. It's not often these things come up for sale so I thought I better just get them both!

p5pb16590750.jpg

p5pb16590748.jpg

These are still the only chain device I haven't dropped a chain with and I think they look stunning with the polished plates and orange rollers!

I was extremely happy to pick these NOS Raceface Northshore DH cranks up for the states through eBay:

p5pb16590742.jpg

p5pb16590744.jpg

These graphics are notorious for wearing down easily. Does anyone have any ideas on how to protect them? I guess just some of the clear frame protector?

Here they are mocked up to another MRP plate I have lying around:

p5pb16590739.jpg

I always wanted a Raceface Diabolus stem but the older, better looking stems always looked a bit tired when they came up. I also thought they only came in 25.4 so was pleased to find out they also came in 31.8mm (I prefer the look of the thicker bars and I have some Renthals already I'd like to use). I managed to pick up a nice one from eBay. These are really nice up close, although I may give it a quick touch-up:

p5pb16590752.jpg

p5pb16590751.jpg

I also really used to like the Saint M810 shifter and derailleur, the ones with the polished saint writing and gold parts. I couldnt find one in decent condition so got these off pinkbike:

p5pb16548024.jpg

p5pb16590745.jpg

Plan is to refurbish it as best I can.

I've been collecting parts for this frame for a year now and perhaps the most pleasing find would have to be these NOS Shimano XT M755 brakes from the states through eBay again. I had these on my old DS1 and they are very, very good brakes with excellent modulation and really ergonomic levers. The only thing was they used to fade a little bit.

p5pb16590847.jpg

p5pb16590844.jpg

p5pb16590842.jpg

p5pb16590843.jpg

p5pb16590849.jpg

p5pb16590850.jpg

p5pb16590851.jpg

p5pb16590852.jpg

p4pb16590853.jpg

p5pb16590854.jpg

Two NOS sets of these brakes actually came up for sale at the same time so I took the plunge and bought both sets as I believe they also came standard on Intesne M1s (my other project).

Liking your build so far, this will be a great bike! I had the forks and brakes on a Patriot, I took a bit of a punt on the brakes, they were in stock or wait a few days for the Hopes I'd originally planned to turn up, I'm pretty impatient so took the XT! Never regretted it for a second! Awesome brakes, especially with 203mm rotors.

Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to seeing what it ends up looking like! They must've looked well on a Patriot. Couldn't believe I found a set of NOS, had to have them! Especially as all the modern brakes I've tried recently have had issues.

nice.

Whatever you do don't take a look at my cobble-bodge DS1 build for my boy,
it will make all your hard work and sourcing good parts seem pointless when you see how little effort I put in :D :facepalm:

Back