** Canfield EPO - Carbon 29er **

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Just in the door this afternoon is the new replacement for my Black Sheep... a Canfield Brothers EPO. :D

This is a carbon hardtail 29er that has superb reviews online so looking forward to trying it out!

The frame is super-light which should result in a reasonable weight when finished, and although not as bomb-proof a finish as raw ti, gloss black will easy enough to touch in as-and-when it needs it!

Most of the parts that were on my Black Sheep will transfer over, but still need an integrated headset and some forks. It's designed to run 120-140mm forks, think I'm more inclined to go 140mm.

I've never used a dropper post, always just set my saddle height and ride. Out here on Lewis/Harris you don't find the steepest of gradients, and anything tricky I have encountered I've managed to negotiate with my backside off the back of the saddle so probably just going to stick with a rigid post!

Here are a few pics to be going on with! :cool:

EDIT: turns out it’s not gloss black, it’s high gloss lacquer over naked carbon. Now polished and waxed and it looks amazing! :cool:

Attachments

• epo7.jpeg
    epo7.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 4,969
  • epo5.jpeg
    epo5.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 4,971
  • epo4.jpeg
    epo4.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 4,973
  • epo3.jpeg
    epo3.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 4,973
  • epo2.jpeg
    epo2.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 4,972
  • epo1.jpeg
    epo1.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4,973
Re:

This is a new frame, it had been kept in stock as a warranty replacement but was never needed.

The down-side to that is that it didn't come with a headset or rear axle as a new one would, so I've had to order those up!

I discovered 4 different versions of 142x12 axles, but luckily one of the lads that works in the shop has an EPO so he was able to point me in the right direction at least!

The black Salsa seat clamp was the first part to be installed, it arrived in the post this morning, stealth axle should be here on Friday and forks I'm still mulling over.

Still have to decide on a headset too.

Here are a few more pics... :cool:

Attachments

• epo13.jpeg
    epo13.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 4,967
  • epo12.jpeg
    epo12.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 4,966
  • epo11.jpeg
    epo11.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 4,966
  • epo10.jpeg
    epo10.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 4,966
  • epo9.jpeg
    epo9.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 4,967
  • epo8.jpeg
    epo8.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 4,967
Re:

Just ordered these in 29 flavour :cool:

Attachments

• dvo-diamond-green-01.png
    dvo-diamond-green-01.png
    86 KB · Views: 4,870
Re: ** Canfield Brothers EPO - Carbon 29er **

That is lovely frame and forks! Honestly I have never heard before of Canfield brothers. Hope this rides as good as it looks! Keep it up!

Re:

Cheers!

Yeah I’m looking forward to trying it, it’s an XL frame which is a first for me! I wanted the extra reach, even though the stand over height is still very low with the seat tube at 21”... so there will still be plenty of seat post showing!

Awaiting a rear axle and a rear brake hose, and still have to decide on a headset. Chris King have just released a ‘DropSet’ for IS41/52, but I need an IS42/52 so might just throw in a Cane Creek 40 until I can get a Chris King in Matte Slate to match the bottom bracket at a later date.

Will try get some shots of the frame outside in proper light to show the carbon beneath the lacquer, it looks amazing close up! :cool:

Re:

Hard to capture, for all intents and purposes the frame looks black, but in the right light, you can see the carbon beneath the lacquer :cool:

Attachments

• epo2.jpeg
    epo2.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 4,750
  • epo1.jpeg
    epo1.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 4,750

UD is best looking carbon layout. It just looks great!

Re:

Decided not to go with a dropper post and just stick with a 'normal' seatpost which arrived this morning... will match perfectly with the stem :cool:

Not so easy to find one new with the 'old' white logo as they're all black now, but one popped up on eBay last week so the Mrs bought me it as an early xmas present!! :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• enve4.jpeg
    enve4.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 4,647
  • enve3.jpeg
    enve3.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 4,647
  • enve2.jpeg
    enve2.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 4,647
  • enve1.jpeg
    enve1.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 4,647
Re:

That's the forks arrived, they're very.... green?! :shock:

Maybe a wee bit 'shouty', but hopefully they'll grow on me, could have gone all black, but where's the fun in that?! :LOL:

Attachments

• dvo4.jpeg
    dvo4.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 4,556
  • dvo3.jpeg
    dvo3.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 4,556
  • dvo2.jpeg
    dvo2.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 4,556
  • dvo1.jpeg
    dvo1.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 4,556

That fork looks great! You are going to need more of this green on the bike, though. Grips, wires, black saddle with green outlines, maybe even combo of green and gold anodized bolts and other small bits...?

Back