Ancillotti Scarab DH 1999

:cool: always liked ancillotti frames. The Tomaso is still one of the best DH frames ever made, and the only frame i would have swapped my M1 for back in the day :)

I liked the fact they were a small family buisness with loads of passion for their work, and had some great teams riding their bikes.

What are your plans for this?

It was developed from Ancillotti senior's motocross designs...but I just love the tight little set of linkages down there.

They're still going strong with similar designs, but the early 90s ones were the really weird ones:

Plans?
Well, it needs stripping and a refurb, rebuild the shock and new stickers as it's had a pretty hard life. Definitely not NOS.
Maybe a different colour, as that would have been custom anyway, and I can't be arsed to polish it like the new ones...I fancy the baby blue that I saw on a slightly later Tomaso DHP one:

i have a white RS Boxxer with 200mm travel, so in keeping with the 160mm or so that the rear end has. A Marzocchi would keep it more Italian, but Ancillotti don't seem to have been too fussed.
Formula discs?

The Tomaso is pretty extreme for me:

so the rest of the stuff will probably be a bit more 'enduro' as that's more use to me, so the guide and bashguard may be removed for riding.

All the best,

Attachments

• 3-1.jpg
    3-1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,172
  • 15734dm-90.jpg
    15734dm-90.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,172
  • ancillotti-tomaso-dhp-light-2011-600x367.jpg
    ancillotti-tomaso-dhp-light-2011-600x367.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,173
Re:

I always wonder with these 'odd' frames - is it a wonderful alternative to the mainstream offerings that reflects the dedication of the small scale builder, paying attention to the details and delivering a product that's both a superior design and superior engineering, because they care and because they own it.

Or, as I sort of expect, if it was better design it would appear under a brand in every outlet within a few months of release as the big boys jump on the concept. My assumption being there may be benefits but if the mass production guys can't make the cost-benefit add up it doesn't go into large scale production.

I do sort of stand by the superior engineering point though, I expect the quality of finish is superb on something like this. Designed to work and keep working.

Your probably right on a good number of points above, better engineering comes at a price and perhaps the benifits are too small to outweigh the associated cost(s)

Hense why the masses* don’t drive Koenigsegg’s
*okay almost nobody does

Back