Whyte PRST-1 (2000)

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, so I have always wanted a PRST-1 for a long time, but they have always been elusive, or expensive. So when this one came along and local to me I had to snap it up. Apprehensive about its first outing I took it along to Thetford Forest for some gentle trails. I dialled in the Shocks in at home as best as I could using both online help from numerous reviews and lots of getting on and off the bike until I was happy the sag was bang on, final tweaks took place on the trails.

I can report back that this bike is awesome, even on some of the more undulating parts of the trails it floated effortlessly over them, it didnt pogo or bounce it just floated. Steering felt on point and predictable and the BRM-750 XT Groupset kept the gear changes slick and the Panaracers provided traction on the very dry sandy trails.

Hope you like.

Jussa

Attachments

• Large1.jpg
    Large1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 654
  • Large2.jpg
    Large2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 654
  • Large3.jpg
    Large3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 654
  • Large4.jpg
    Large4.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 654
I'm a firm believer that linkage front suspension is the biggest missed opportunity in MTB history. I have a PRST4 and a JW4 for good measure. The best advice for set up is to put in your body weight into the rear shock and 75% of body weight in the front. You don't want any sag in the front or the anti bob just won't work. You may chose to go 10 psi lower in the rear if you aren't getting all the travel. I'll be out on my JW4 in an hour or so. I did some laps of a local red route this year on my PRST4 and found that I was 19 seconds quicker than on my Boardman FS Pro. The lap takes me around 11 minutes so it's a significant improvement.

Back