mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Just thought i would post this up as it has been overlooked lately with other builds going on. Also this is at home and i spend most my time at my daughters these days so again doesnt get used.

Shame really as out of all the bikes i have owned, both old and new, this is the one with the best fit. I have said for a while now that if i ever had a custom frame made then this would be used as the template :)

The ride itself is really nice too. The frame fits perfect as i said but it also is the most comfortable ride, the frame has a lot of flex, even more than my '93 Kilauea :shock: which suprised me when i first rode it, but unlike the Kilauea it puts the power down really well too, even out the saddle.

The bike was standard when i first got it a few years ago, i have changed a couple of parts over but mostly still the same. I paid way too much for it but always wanted one and most that are sold are larger sizes so grabed it while i could. I have a XTR M960 groupset which was going on my Orange but is now spare, so i have decided to put it onto the Trek. I am also going to replace the Sids as the flex in them really holds the bike back, even riding slow and gentle they are just too distracting.

Was at home today doing some much needed gardening so took a couple of quick shots of the bike. P1010627 (Medium).JPG P1010620 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
few pics of some of the parts. None of them nos but its a rider :cool: P1010623 (Medium).JPG P1010640 (Medium).JPG P1010636 (Medium).JPG P1010634 (Medium).JPG P1010631 (Medium).JPG P1010629 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Re:

Looks good Mark.
I've got one of those frames sat here, both headset cups still in place & I wasn't sure if they were bonded/glued into the carbon. Sticking point for getting it back together was if a carbon frame had to be treated any differently for headset removal/fitting?
The lower cup looks a little wider than the top one on mine. I had been considering just replacing the bearings rather than a whole new headset. Any idea of the headset/bearing dimensions & if they are caged or sealed races? Only info I can find online is that the original spec was cane creek, but I can't find a reference to the model or size.

The RM Blizzard is getting close to completion, will send you a pick once its done.
regards
Keith

Looks really nice and that m960 group will really suit it well! What forks are you going to use with it? Is frames geo actually adjusted for that much travel in front, looks too high...

Dare":8rhbl7qz said:
Looks really nice and that m960 group will really suit it well! What forks are you going to use with it? Is frames geo actually adjusted for that much travel in front, looks too high...

Havent decided on fork yet, its come down to a couple or three, just suppose which ever one comes up for sale first really :LOL:

The bike comes with these forks, the angles are spot on, it has a really nice sloping top tube so makes the bike look higher up front :)

Re: Re:

KeithW":2y60f9kz said:
Looks good Mark.
I've got one of those frames sat here, both headset cups still in place & I wasn't sure if they were bonded/glued into the carbon. Sticking point for getting it back together was if a carbon frame had to be treated any differently for headset removal/fitting?
The lower cup looks a little wider than the top one on mine. I had been considering just replacing the bearings rather than a whole new headset. Any idea of the headset/bearing dimensions & if they are caged or sealed races? Only info I can find online is that the original spec was cane creek, but I can't find a reference to the model or size.

The RM Blizzard is getting close to completion, will send you a pick once its done.
regards
Keith

Hi Keith

Sorry mate missed this post :facepalm:

Im not sure about headset, had the forks out ages ago but cant remember much about the headset, it was working so i didnt touch it. I will be replacing it though with a CK so i will let you know how that goes. I will have a look into bearing sizes and types for you too, im not with my bike at moment but im sure it still has original headset so i can check.

Some headsets run bigger bearings in the bottom for impact/load so could very well be larger, i will check mine got me curious now :LOL:

Would be good to see the Blizzard when you have sorted it, look forward to it.

Will drop you a pm when ive had a look at headset :)

Mark

Re:

Love this! I always thought they looked fast and they have aged well :)

Out of interest I wonder how it would ride rigid :?:

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":cf64382d said:
Love this! I always thought they looked fast and they have aged well :)

Out of interest I wonder how it would ride rigid :?:

I have thought about rigid, Pace 31 or similar, but always been a bit paranoid about carbon frames after seeing a couple break. One was a Trek as it goes :LOL: Y22 or 33, the guy was airlifted out of the woods while we were left poking holes in his bust frame, amazed at how flimsey it was :shock: His wife gave us a lecture about the dangers of MTB's and told us how ashamed we should be for riding them :shock: couldnt really say anything as her fella was pretty bad. Hope he is well now.

Anyway, back on topic :roll: the frame has loads of flex so i think a suss fork would be a better match, just not a spaghetti sid :LOL:

Re:

Hi Mark
Be interested to get your feedback on the headset, ta.
I've just acquired some spaghetti for the front of mine...might have to be gentle.
Keep us all posted on this one, like the other replies I think these frames/bikes look great.
Cheers
Keith

Not much of an update, just took it out today so took a couple of pics.

I have changed the stem and bars though, and was reminded today of how comfy it is, even comared to my flexy steel frames.

Mark 3.JPG P1011165 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Back