Marin Mount Vision 1998

Akula

Old School Hero
New project. It’s not going to be period correct. Thinking of using zolatone style coulour scheme on frame and having torque tube and forks in fluro something , green yellow or orange , to bark back to early nineties style Marin’s.

I’m looking at stealing some parts off some other bikes (which will subsequently become more period correct.
I have sram x0 2x9 setup on my AMP B4 and initially considered just moving this over to the Marin. However I reread that someone had used a 9 speed sram rear mech with a 10speed cassette and Shimano shifters. Anyone else tried this out. Would be fun to try this as a 1x10

Attachments

• A87BFD10-252C-41C2-89D0-F047416E7D3C.jpeg
    A87BFD10-252C-41C2-89D0-F047416E7D3C.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 2,770
Theres no point in going period correct with these. The frames are great, the shocks were terrible and the best thing is to throw and air shock at it and a decent set of forks. After that they are great.

I loved my 1997 Rift Zone. I upgraded to a shock like yours after 2 of the originals gave up the fight. That lasted me the remainder of the 18 years I had it. I wouldn't want an air shock on it myself since they compress at first then ramp up. This frame is designed with the constant spring rate of a coil shock in mind. You are lucky to have the Mk 2 swinging arm. The first ones were prone to fracture. I also fractured 2 frames under the head stock. They could have done with a gusset for strength. In it's life mine had 3 of everything-frame, fork, shock, swinging arm.
It's a great bike which revolutionised full suss. You can pedal without bobbing (much) and tackle just about anything. The original fork on mine was a Manitou with 78mm of elastomer travel. Something I wouldn't like to return to. The stem was about 140mm in length! With a modern stem it may seem a little short.
Best of luck with your build. I like your decision not to be a slave to originality.

Love this frame, think it should get more attention than it does. I think it's fair to say they where a ahead of their time even though the pivot design is simple for £1000 it was a really good introduction to dual suspension for a lot of people. Looking forward to build pics. I'm a fan of period correct apart from rear mechs which can be best to just use a new XT and avoid a lot of headaches

Great frames, this will be a decent ride with some modern parts added to it. Personally I like the graphics of this era of frame but looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Re:

I’m at exactly the same stage as you with my Mount Vision 98. She was perfectly serviceable but I just fancied a new paint job and a modern component upgrade. Managed to nab myself a later swingarm with disc tabs so it’s Hope callipers for me!

One problem I have got is that I can’t get the damn Octalink bb out. It just won’t budge. Tried all the usual tricks with no luck. Going to try hairdryer treatment this weekend! I shall watch your build with interest.

Does anyone happen to know the i2i of the rear shock, my mate has just bought a frame minus shock. Cheers Rob

Re:

165mm I think.

Also does anyone know the bearing set up on the swingarm? Just the bearing on its own or it washer/bearing/washer?

Just asking before I put the bearing in and then have to knock it out again!

Re:

The day after my last post on this , I got retrenched , as they say

Plans got scaled back. Finally picked up a job after 6 months and eventually threw this together.

1x10, using srAm X0 9 speed with xt 10speed shifter , so far changes are silky , result . Most parts were for other projects , swing arm I picked up for reasonable price . Forty quid air shock was biggest purchase. Well worth it as it’s half the weight of original which was like riding a pogo stick

Attachments

• DF719783-6842-40E9-9504-5FA2FA248F25.jpeg
    DF719783-6842-40E9-9504-5FA2FA248F25.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,156
Back