Spicy restomod - BC built and rebuilt

Toaster556

Retro Newbie
Well, after having to miss the show at Toxik due to a last minute request for help unloading my project car and getting it safely stowed for another summer of late nights, I decided I should post my Spice restomod. It's partially correct, partially period correct, with a few modern twists and one distinct retro feature.
I originally picked up this frame last spring to replace my AMS Boss Rock II as a trainer to help me lose some weight, and didn't get too far. I sourced a 2000 Marzocchi Z1 QR20 front end with an eNVy arch, a Deore LX M570/571 derailleur combo and ran into a 6 month block of overtime, car problems, and other fun stuff. Now it's in the home stretch, waiting on a few small pieces before a full summer of fitness.

Here's the quick and dirty spec sheet. Blanks haven't been purchased yet or I'm not sure what they are.

Frame: 2001 Rocky Mountain Spice 20.5

Fork:  2000 Marzocchi Z1 QR20 with eNVy fork brace and aluminum stem

Headset:  Raceface sealed threadless headset
Stem: Bontrager Stem
Handlebar: Race Face Air Alloy Riser
Grips: 
Barends: 

Brakes: Hayes Mag G1 front with Hayes adpater/Magura HS22 Raceline rear with what appears to be a homemade brake booster
Brake Pads:  Brake Authority front/Magura trials rear
Brake Cables: Hayes/ Magura
Cantilever cable hangers: 
Brake Levers: Hayes G1 flip flop/ Magura HS22 Raceline HD

Shifters: Shimano Deore LX trigger shifters (M570/M570)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX FD-M571
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX FD-M570
Derailleur Cables:Shimano
Cassette: Shimano 11-32 cassette
Chain: Shimano
Cranks:  Race Face Turbine
Crank Bolts:  Rock Bros titanium
Chainrings: Race Face 44/32/22
Chainring bolts:  Race Face
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55 73x113
Pedals:  Shimano M545

Hub Skewers: Cheapo ebay front with custom QR20 ends/ Shimano Deore XT rear
Rims: Pro Wheel/Sun Rim Rhyno Lite XL
Hubs:  King Kong KD-H2 QR20/ Shimano Deore XT
Nipples: 
Spokes: 
Tyres: 
Tubes: 

Saddle: 
Seatpost:  RMB 26.8
Seatpost Binder: Stock RMB

Weight:

Attachments

• 32169742_10156101294150211_9182009723677835264_n.jpg
    32169742_10156101294150211_9182009723677835264_n.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,363
Well I did some more work, undid some and made a couple changes.
I found another Hayes G1, so swapped out my Magura rears for a disc, using a Magura Storm SL rotor, matched my seat post to a Value Village find RMB seat ($4!) and installed my crankset using the titanium crank bolts. Other small changes are Race Face Love Handle lock on grips, a change from a heavily worn 9 speed cassette to a lower model 8 speed and the tires being swapped out for Schwable Black Jacks.
I started the tuning process and discovered a bent rear derailleur hanger (Which RM still sells!), so further tuning is delayed until it comes in. I also discovered that I had acquired a proper Rocky Mountain QR20 front hub laced by Wheel Tech with a recent Kona parts bike purchase, so score! Mean time, some work is being done to both Konas and a proper rebleeding of the wife's Magura HS22s.

Attachments

• spice.jpg
    spice.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,096
  • seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,096
  • RMW.jpg
    RMW.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,096
Re:

Great work on a deserving bike!

I had a 97 Spice, which i bought new, and got stolen shortly after. :x Just recently started looking for another one to fix up.

Thanks, it's currently a rider but it's coming apart again this November for some paint work. Just gotta get the wife on getting my decals done, and order some new hoops.
There's a 16.5" Spice frame on the FB Marketplace in Squamish if you're appropriately sized, but I needed Sasquatch size

I'm about to pick this beauty up. $120🤑 I think it's a 2001 model size Lrg. I've never owned a RkyMTN, anyone know if it's possible to fit a 29" in the rear triangle? I'm thinking Fox Factory Stepcast 32 29" 100mm travel fork upgrade. I need suggestions for a rear shock upgrade, definitely want the ability to lock out front and rear. I'm thinking about having a custom rear triangle fabricated, my goal is to build a xc race bike and start training for next season. I've been looking into modding the head tube to take a tapered fork. Obviously disc brakes, it needs paint I like the stock black but I'm thinking about doing the rear triangle orange to match the Fox fork. And as much raw Titanium accents as possible. Wireless shifting? Wireless hyd brakes? For super clean no cables look?

IMG_20230809_185026~2.jpg

Back