Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 2001 GT i Drive 6.0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I don't often post in this group, but I've always fancied riding one of these, and so when I saw the frame going for peanuts on ebay , I couldn't resist.

To build this up to ride, I only had to buy a rear mech hanger (as it was missing it), a new chain, full set of cables, a full set of brake blocks, and bolts for the lock on grips as the allen sockets in the original bolts were rounded. I did also realise that the front mech bottom bracket cable guide was missing, so a shout out on facebook resulted in a very kind chap sending me one for free.

While building this, the rear shock appeared on ebay, and a last minute punt also secured it for peanuts as well. It made a massive difference compared to the stock RST 22A shock that originally was fitted to it.

The wheels are GT branded ones (although the branding is really only a sticker), which I think come for 2000-2001. They had been bought for another project which I then decided I didn't want them for.

The forks and handlebars came from a bike I bought at the local recycling centre for £7.00. This bike also came fitted with a set of Magura HS11 amongst other things. The Deore 2002 brakeset, and gearset all came from a freecycle job lot which I had planned on hanging on something else, but could not resist putting on this build. The stem came from a job lot I had bought of Facebook, which I got for a quid. The reason I bought this particular job lot, I saw a GT frame, and thought why not. It turned out to be a 2009 GT Palomar, which came with a set of iffy cut down Answer hyperlite bars as well.

Everything else i had lying around and since the photos I given it a good riding and it is quite fun to ride.

Attachments:
IMAG1417.jpg
IMAG1417.jpg [ 467.43 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]
IMAG1416.jpg
IMAG1416.jpg [ 494.82 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]
IMAG1415.jpg
IMAG1415.jpg [ 460.31 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 pm 
Retro Guru

I stumbled over an I Drive last year, it was advertised as a size considerably larger than it was, so small I struggled to ride it. I was impressed with the climbing ability for a full suspension of that era. I will definitely take on another (in the right size) when the opportunity arrises.

Enjoy your GT, complex it may be but it is capable and rewarding to ride, in a retro style.