Kinesis FF29

Lacuna

Retro Guru
I meant to post this months ago but, as this frame is now on ebay due to replacing it with a Scott Scale Pro 29er, this is more of an epitaph. Anyway, I bought this frame on whim early last year when I was supposed to be working on building up my Yeti ASR (now gone -bought by someone in Korea!). While on the lookout for some 29" forks I across a Pinnacle Ramin 4 that a bloke was trying to build into a single speed rigid but had given up before finishing. The only thing missing wasthe brakes and, importantly, it came with a set of carbon rigids and a basic set of 29" wheels and tyres. Got the bike for £120 and sold the frame and parts I didn't need for about £200. Success!

So, now armed with forks and wheels I set about building up the Kinesis. I used some drive train components that I already and bought new bar and stem and a set of Avid Elexir 7's from ebay. Whilst I already a set of 29er wheels to get me going as chance would have it I spotted a set of carbon road wheels with nackered hubs being sold locally on ebay. I was the only bidder and got them for £30! I sold the hubs and spokes for £26 (people really will buy anything) so the carbon rims came in at a net cost of £2 each. Unfortunately they were drilled for 20h front and 24h rear. There are no 20h through axle disc hubs available (for good reason I expect) so I had to redrill the front rim for 24h. This took a long time -carbon is tough! I managed to source a Hope rear hub for about £60 and a Koozer front hub for £40. The straight pull spokes were also about £40 so the wheels came in at about £140 :) The rest is pretty standard stuff. I really liked it but the Scott frame replacing it is better so it has to go.

Frame: Kinesis FF29 (medium)
Fork: No-name carbon tapered with 15mm axle
Headset: FSA
Wheels: Carbon rims with Hope/Koozer hubs
Tyres: Continental Speed King
Bar: Easton Haven Carbon
Stem: Easton Haven 90mm
Grips: Ergon GP2
Brakes: Avid Elixir 7 with Uberbike kevlar braided hoses
Seatpost: Pro Koryak 31.6
Seatclamp: Salsa
Saddle: Lidl's finest :)