Super V - <£200 challenge

fotorat1

Retro Guru
Just "won" a Mango Super V frame made "IG" 1997/July

As this in on the cusp of vintage vs. >1997 I have tried my luck for a matching fork on both Wanted Forums = hope I am not breaking any rules?

Can anyone help me out with a XT v brake (1 set ) and XT STI levers?

This arrived Yesterday for the modest Total of £67 inc postage:

I cant belive how massive that down tube is also Loving that Mango Colour... :shock:

It has not been used for a long time as it had spider eggs on it.

While it was not being used it had been dropped on its seat post - clamp area and was dented in so far that the seat post wouldnt fit. Fixed this is a round bar and a lump hammer.

Then I noticed it had also been dropped on its top headset cup - so this came out - got filed and finished smooth and has had its first coat of paint!

There is some play in the rear end - suspect rear shock mount. so the bolts are soaking in plus gas.

It even had its original bike shop sticker on with a telephone number without the "01" prefix!

Structure is fine - no cracks or dents

Paint work is a bit tatty mostly rubbing- but the rear triangle is the worst - its coming off to be flattened and painted.

The shock still had 140PSI in it - fingers crossed :?
BB "feels" ok - but I will get it out at some point to check it

Best of all its a 21.5 Inch frame!

p4pb15637071.jpg

Bits I am missing(WHYG):

Left hand polished coda crank (Coda 300 170mm cpi7-170E) - Sugino
XT M750 V brake (1 pair)
XT M750 V brake Levers/pods
Cdale headset bearing X1 ( found a new one in my shed!)
Mango Fork - or just the legs minus the steerer shock!

p4pb15637075.jpg

p4pb15637076.jpg

Well I can say for sure that the shock bolts and swing arm pivot have never been outin the last 21 years.

all the play was in the the rear shock mount and the bolt was bent and siezed in - I pushed out to get it started them used the scrathpawl and mr lump hammer - and it flew out!

the main pivot bearings will rotate a little - new ones ordered today!

not sure if I will be able to save the active 100 section on the chain side!

p4pb15637264.jpg

To be really picky the cranks are CPI (also on lower end Konas late 90s) and are copies of Sugino Impel. CPI also made a White Industries / Sugino lookalike.

Rear end is almost dry - not my best work - but still way better than when it arrived!

Also the bikes shops must be quiet as everything I ordered on Sunday arrived today!

p4pb15647038.jpg

p4pb15647037.jpg

Change of plans #2

Decided to drift away from pure 1997 spec and use what I had going spare so this is going to be a Groupset Chronological Fusion spanning M750 and M970

Plan is for disc brake up front and v brake on the back

And I might use LX dual Control levers - Cable rear brake and Hydraulic front.

Rear shock oil change completed.

p4pb15688107.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
p5pb15821970.jpg

Finished!!! Came in at £350

The 2 best bargains must be the M585 lever and caliper for £10 followed by the matching left lever from Taiwan that cost £7.5 inc postage and got here in 6 days!

In the photo is has a 80mm/zero degree stem - which was too low for me so now it has a 120/ 20 degree - and this has made a big difference - feels very comfy. Its not feather weight but at 25lb 3oz. I am very happy.

I tried it in anger on my local trail and it works brilliantly - I have 10wt oil in the shocks and that suits it - I ragged it down a rough hillside and it didnt bottom out - also I didnt notice the front 80mm so I guess that is a good sign. It feels like it could take a 25mile loop so I will try it out soon....

Cranks 40
Chainrings 40
Pedals 0
Cables 7
Left lever/Cantis 7.5
Right lever /Caliper 10
New brake pads 1.5
Frame 60
Forks 50
Chain 10.75
Shock oil 10
Front wheel 0