Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Borne out of a desire to help a friend, I am starting to gather bike parts together. Firstly, I found a medium sized Giant XTC frame on eBay. Here it is. A 26er! :cool:

IMG_20180116_124227[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Believed by a fellow Giant owner and fan, to be around 2008-2009 model.

Wanting to tidy it up, I started trying to sort out the flaking lacquer, hoping I could smooth it out in readiness for a new coat.

IMG_20180120_100649[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Unfortunately, this is proving tricky, as when I wet and dry around the edges of it, more inevitably lifts up! :facepalm:

The white paint around the top and bottom of the headtube is also very easily chipped off. :roll:

IMG_1835 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Tomorrow it will be going to a friend of mine - the same one who sprayed my Endorphin GREEN ! to see what he suggests. Either take all the coat off, it's not bare carbon underneath, but seems to be another shiny coat! Or a respray.

Wheels also turned up this week, a pair of Bontrager Race Lites.

IMG_20180125_142722[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

One tyre is toast, but the other is in good condition.
May need a 160mm disc, not sure yet. Also I have some forks on the way, thanks to another forum member. Will post pics when they arrive.

Mike

Re:

I saw my friend today, he said he would paint it for free if I do the prep work, and gave me some advice on, that. Also mentioned that the headtube was chipping easily, may have been due to it not being keyed beforehand, as it was shiny.
Of course.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some rubbing to do, followed by some more. And then a little bit more . . . . . . .

Mike

Re: Giant XTC, 2009-ish

Got yourself a bit of a job on there :)

Have you got to get it down to the carbon for a respray? curious what the frame would look like with all its paint removed, and does paint stripper eat away at carbon or is it a case of rubbing gently until the paint has come off?

Mark

Re: Giant XTC, 2009-ish

mkone":64rzhs1h said:
Got yourself a bit of a job on there :)

Have you got to get it down to the carbon for a respray? curious what the frame would look like with all its paint removed, and does paint stripper eat away at carbon or is it a case of rubbing gently until the paint has come off?

Mark

You're not wrong mate! A case of rubbing down, feathering in the good from the bad. Then my friend will take over, very kindly!

Bare carbon weave would be ace followed by lacquer, but it's not all carbon. Headtube hasn't got the weave.

Mike

Re:

So today I finished off the main triangle tubes. Still need to rub down the cable stops though.

IMG_20180201_153006[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

As I'd previously mentioned, the headtube paint was shocking, so I took all of that off, and smoothed out in readiness for the new paint.

IMG_20180201_153025[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Talking of paint, I've been thinking for a few days about colour schemes. Based on the Ford GT Gulf racing colours, I have a specific idea in my head, regarding decals.

Once I've done the stays in readiness, that is. It's going to look pretty good I think.

Forks are on the way. As is the gear hanger. Looking for a wide seatpost clamp now, in 34.9.

Mike

Re:

Bare carbon weave would be ace followed by lacquer, but it's not all carbon. Headtube hasn't got the weave.

What you refer to as not carbon will actually be carbon, the "carbon weave" you refer to is generally for vanity, the directional and structural carbon used in the BB/Head/dropout area is regarded as less attractive than the typical 3k twill used on tubing, so it's either covered up or they will drop in a sheet of none structural weave first so it looks nice.

Re: Re:

singlespeedsim":1pmhhfnm said:

What you refer to as not carbon will actually be carbon, the "carbon weave" you refer to is generally for vanity, the directional and structural carbon used in the BB/Head/dropout area is regarded as less attractive than the typical 3k twill used on tubing, so it's either covered up or they will drop in a sheet of none structural weave first so it looks nice.

Thanks for clarifying that. Now primered, and I'm waiting from my friend to tell me it's painted, so I can put the decals on it, get it lacquered, and put some photos up on this thread.

Mike

Re:

It did get done. And I took some photos on my phone. Just before it died! :facepalm:

Soddit!

Back