Marin B17 2000

xjr41

Dirt Disciple
So I have been after building a modern retro full suss Marin for a while now, especially after reading some of Benandemu's build threads and seeing pics of the new 2018 B17 made me want an original one.
After watching a few frames on Ebay I eventually won what was described as a B17 frame in large.

After some chats on here, and a bit of investigation, this turned out to be a 2000 B17 indeed, and should have looked like this if someone hadn't decided to paint it some sort of metallic dark grey and stick nonsense stickers all over it.

So stripdown starts.
The movement in the original Fox Vanilla shock mounting is due to missing tophat bushes. First problem, where do you get these 17 years later?? Will need to figure that out at some point.

List of ideas and stuff to be done.
1x10 running gear, all XT.
XT hydraulic brakes.
650b wheels.
All parts either Marin or Ritchey.
Repaint in what I consider to be the best retro Marin colours, grey and Marin orange.
Canti mounts delete.
Modify cable stops for hydro cables.
Original decals recreated.

Not sure on forks or rear shock yet. Anyone got any suggestions?

not too sure about the 650 wheels. theres not a huge amount of clearance in there with 26's! Worth a try though.

you have probably already seen my build thread (that 'should have looked like this' photo for starters). I did similar with drilling out the cable guides to fit the hose better, I left the canti stud mounts though, just in case :D
A nice modern air shock aint too pricey. I got a couple in the shed to try out I just havent got around to fitting yet.

good luck with the build

Re:

First problem fixed, special thin top hat style bushe/washers for the shock mount at the frame.

Well no hope of finding these online so I made some myself.

Had a couple of top cap bushes that were 8mm ID and 12mm OD on the spigot with a total diameter of 18mm but spigot length was 8mm and top thickness was 3mm.

The replacement bushing I need was 8mm and 12mm ID and OD, but with a spigot length of 3mm and top thickness of 2mm.

So judicious use of a hacksaw, dremel and a file and I have 2 perfect fitting bushes in aluminium.

First major problem over, now to move on with the fun stuff.

Frame stripped, dismantled and de-stickered.
Off to be chemically stripped and gently bead blasted. Will post some pics when its back.

Re:

And the frame is back. :LOL: :LOL:

Its beautiful. Wondering if I should just clearcoat the entire thing and have it bare aluminium.

Re:

Good stuff, I have been struggling with refinishing the frame on my Marin build for over a year now. You may have inspired me to actually get on with it! I have gone full XT M8000 1x11 and loving it.

What length shock (eye to eye) are you after?

Where are you based and who stripped the frame for you/cost?

Re:

One of these has been on my bucket list for some time now. What fork are you planning to use?
Well done with starting the build from the "frame up". Looking forward to updates.

Edit, Oops just re read OP. How about a Revelation up front and a Fox air out back? You'd have the basis for a light full sus trail bike which wouldn't look out of place at a trail center or even the odd local XC race.

Re: Re:

davidj":21yjz3zw said:
Good stuff, I have been struggling with refinishing the frame on my Marin build for over a year now. You may have inspired me to actually get on with it! I have gone full XT M8000 1x11 and loving it.

What length shock (eye to eye) are you after?

Where are you based and who stripped the frame for you/cost?

The shock eye measurement is 200x57.
Have got hold of a Fox Float RP23 that should do nicely.

I am based in Swindon, and the Centaur Stripping took care of the stripping. Cost £30.

Got a Suntour up front for the moment. If 650b works wioth this frame I shall upgrade to a decent fork.

Back