Unexpected arrival - Specialized FSR

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
So it happened again. Scrolling through the local selling pages looking for gear for Mayhem, no intention of buying any bikes, but something catches your eye. What was described as a 'men's bike needing a good clean' was obviously a Specialized FSR with magura hydraulic rim brakes. Don't have any current projects so why not. After all it's ot full 27 speed deore XT running gear (in great working order) and it's only £35. Nice little project. Shame it's a bit too small for me as I've always wanted one of these but you can't have everything in life.

Mechanically it doesn't need a lot but the maguras are not in the best shape. They work but obviously need bleeding as the lever comes right to the bars. Trouble is I have no idea how to sort them as they're foreign territory for me and is it actually worth fixing them (as they're a bit tatty) or is it better to just replace them with a set of good V brakes? A longer seatpost is definitely on the list as I would love to ride it at least once after wanting one.

Re:

Bargain is that. Why not offer the frame out as a straight swap for a bigger one?

Maguras should be easy enough to sort although you could flog them and make back the price of the bike.

Re:

I'm thinking about putting a set of Vs on it for now to get it up and running (because brakes and chain are all it needs) and keep the maguras to try and sort later on when I have more time again. Just got to find a seatpost now. Think its a 30.9.

Nice bike score, I had one of those for a bit then part ex'd it for a GT LTS-DH.

I have a Magura bleed kit sat here doing nothing as I sold mine, yours for a fiver plus postage. The procedure is very easy, instructions included :)

Re:

Just been looking at the brakes to see what I can do and theyre magura Tomacs. I know theyre obviously named after john tomac but other than that no clue what they are. I believe theyre hs33? But may be way off.

Re:

Hi,

If they are Tomacs, they should be HS33's. (The name was used a few times in deferent variations)
Eye-searing orange/red colour, shorter / more square looking lever blade and a adjuster for the pad clearance.
The HS22's have a very long lever blade with a rounded tip - look more like a motorbike brake lever...

Awesome brakes - I'd keep them, personally. In fact, I just bought a set from wadsy for a build!

All the best

Mathew

Re: Re:

MarinMartin":lu2s4yz2 said:
Just been looking at the brakes to see what I can do and theyre magura Tomacs. I know theyre obviously named after john tomac but other than that no clue what they are. I believe theyre hs33? But may be way off.

All bled the same way, had those brakes on my GT Pantera and lovely veld them. I ran out of Magura blood and used olive oil :LOL: :facepalm: Worked though.

Re:

Exactly one month on and here she stands ready to roll. I might change the forks later on but they work fine for now. And for around £70 all in she's a little gem.

Attachments

• Optimized-20170713_160107.jpg
    Optimized-20170713_160107.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 789
Back