Specialized Ground Control FSR new build.

Kev.E

Retro Newbie
So I saw this frame on ebay and I always loved this frame shape, next thing it was mine and my first build started...
I can't say I've been particularly imaginative as most of the parts I bought were Shimano but It's been fun, interesting and a good learning experience.

Full Shimano SLX groupset (2×11) with MT15 wheels and 180mm centrelock discs.
Rock Shox Recon forks.
Ritchey Comp headset and stem.
Easton bars and grips.
Pure Fabric saddle.
Continental X-King 2.2 tyres.
Tensile rear disc brake converter.

The last item on the parts list is the bit I'm not happy with. It does not fit well. The dropout slot does not match up with the slot on the frame and it just doesn't feel solid when the brake is applied. I really want the Specialized Shark Fin adapter and today I posted a wanted advert for one. If anyone has one of these that they are ready to part with please get in touch.

It still has the original Rock Shox Deluxe rear shock that has had its day.
I've ordered a Rock Shox Monarch RL rear shock which I hope will fit without too much difficulty.

Next thing is to order a set of Shimano XT T8000 SPD Trekking Pedals, I really like the look of these and they will be my first pedals using cleats.

Looking forward to getting out on it.

Attachments

• 20170414_131302.111jpg.jpg
    20170414_131302.111jpg.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 1,955
  • 20170414_131100.1jpg.jpg
    20170414_131100.1jpg.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 1,955
  • 20170414_131243.1jpg.jpg
    20170414_131243.1jpg.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 1,956
The only company still making disc adapters other than those cheapo ones off of ebay is Therapy Components. It looks very similar to the Specialized one you're after and it works very well. They're not cheap however and will only work with certain hubs.

Re:

Thanks. I had heard of that adapter but thought it was the same as the Tensile one.
Now I see it fits within the dropouts and looks like it clamps around the axle. It is expensive ($185) but considering what I've already spent it's not unreasonable so I will keep it under consideration.
I would still prefer the original Specialized part which fits rigidly to the seatstay but appreciate I may not get one. I don't expect to get one cheap, sometimes satisfaction comes at a price.
Cheers.

I think the issue with the one you've got is that the bit that goes onto the axle is not directly under the caliper and so is subject to a fair degree of lateral load. The Therapy one sits directly under the caliper and so is much more stable. The actual clamp bit sits on a special spacer which replaces the non drive side spacer on the existing hub. If Therapy don't make one for your hub then it won't fit so check compatibility.

Just to add, here's an expanded diagram of a Hope XC hub.

1212-2993-full-hoperearhub-7.jpg

The bit that is replaced is part number 4 on the diagram. When you get the adapter from Therapy it comes with a custom version of that part and the adapter sits around that. There's a pin that slides through the bottom of the adapter, underneath the axle, that stops it coming off.

As with all bodge on disc adapters, changing wheels is a pain in the arse but once it's all together it works fine.

The other one that might work on that frame is the A2Z adapter.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/a2z-universal-disc-mount/

Basically, the axle goes through the hole in the bottom and is clamped in place with the QR skewer. The little bit of silver metal at the top rests against the seat stay to stop the adapter from spinning round. This is a really bad idea on a steel frame because the tubing is so thin but on a relatively chunky aluminium frame you might get away with it.

Here's what it looks like on a bike.

57622d1108774010-a2z-disk-brake-adapter-frames-without-disk-mount-anyone-try-one-2005_0218eddiscadap0016.jpg

Re:

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the info. One of those adapters might be better than the one I've got.
I got to ride it for the first time this week and while the back brake felt ok the QR could not hold the wheel in place no matter how tight it was. When I got home I found the alloy adjuster nut on the QR had flattened all of it's teeth that grip the dropout and had slipped each time i put a decent amount of pressure on the pedals.
I'm now looking at a solid axle and good old fashioned nuts.
Apart from this it was all good and I think I'm really going to like this bike.

Re:

There's loads of threads on mtbr forum about rear disc brake conversion. Also there is an FSR enduro (I think the 2000) that has the disc mount rear seat stays. If you see one snap it up.
Otherwise you're waiting for the disc adapter (on its own is very rare) or sold as part of a complete bike....not as rare, but seldom come across.i had 3 at one point, but now only 2 (which are being used unfortunately for you!) :)

Re:

Cheers,
When you decide to drop that number to one I'll have the kidney removed.
I'll keep an eye out for the enduro.

Back