Roberts DOGS BOLX 2009

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all, I've been thinking for a while that something slightly more modern than my early-90's rigid MTBs would be a good addition to the stable. Mainly for a bit more comfort, less worry about trashing M900 xtr, and after all, who doesn't like an excuse for a new project.

When I saw this advertised, given my additction to all-things Roberts, I couldn't resist.

As I'm pretty clueless on technology beyond canti brakes (V's completely passed me by), apologies in advance for asking for much advice.
So the build plans ...

Firstly, I'm not worried about period correct 2009, but clearly it's for 26" and std QR's. I'd love a proper pimp xtr / Chris King build, but finances will likely dictate otherwise. Should I go 2x9/10?

I've a 2007 Orange P7 pro with hope wheels/disc brakes and some xt, this will donate - but the Roberts is set for 80mm to 100mm forks, so the 120mm ones on the P7 probably won't suit. Any suggestions?
The race face cranks on the Orange I think wouldn't suit. Middleburn, xtr?

Any ideas on a cool build for a frame like this will be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_4869.JPG
    IMG_4869.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,248
:cool: i was tempted with this, i would have swapped over the Ritchey WCS parts from my Blizzard and probably tried it with rigids. Plenty of Ritchey come up on ebay so prices arent too much :)

Look forward to seeing this built

Mark

Re:

Nice one Matt! :cool:

Doing the monthly shop ride on my 'oldie' on Wednesday. Think it will turn a few heads! :LOL:

I'd suggest XT M750/1 , but I see the frame is disc only, so I don't know. Oh, and plus the respective v brakes look hideous :evil:

Look forward to seeing what you do with it mate

Mike

mkone":3kwpgp9m said:
:cool: i was tempted with this, i would have swapped over the Ritchey WCS parts from my Blizzard and probably tried it with rigids. Plenty of Ritchey come up on ebay so prices arent too much :)

Mark

Cheers Mark, I have some RC-31's here doing nothing, so that is an option. Will look for WCS.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3chrt7ay said:
Nice one Matt! :cool:

Doing the monthly shop ride on my 'oldie' on Wednesday. Think it will turn a few heads! :LOL:

I'd suggest XT M750/1 , but I see the frame is disc only, so I don't know. Oh, and plus the respective v brakes look hideous :evil:

Look forward to seeing what you do with it mate

Mike

Your White Spider looks top-notch. It'll turn heads for sure. :cool:

MatBH5":3a6z350v said:
mkone":3a6z350v said:

Mark

Cheers Mark, I have some RC-31's here doing nothing, so that is an option. Will look for WCS.

All carbon WCS, to match the forks :cool: most ritchey is black or white too, if your into coordination :cool:

Re:

Quick mock-up with a black xtr seatpost (27.2) and 440mm a-c RC31's, plus the Hope/WCS wheels from the P7.

Chainstays are horizontal ... should there be a drop to bb? I have a 420mm RC31 somewhere...

Attachments

• IMG_4872.JPG
    IMG_4872.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,184
Re:

Nice one Matt, I also saw this, incredible weight for a disc frame. I would use this as the muddy weather version, go 1x 10/11 keep it light. Re the forks you could probably get away with a 100mm suspension (RC39) but rigid, your right it looks like an 80mm - 420/5. You'll soon see if you attempt a U turn and run out of road!

Re: Re:

dnbmatt28":ek8qcyal said:
Nice one Matt, I also saw this, incredible weight for a disc frame. I would use this as the muddy weather version, go 1x 10/11 keep it light. Re the forks you could probably get away with a 100mm suspension (RC39) but rigid, your right it looks like an 80mm - 420/5. You'll soon see if you attempt a U turn and run out of road!

Good advice, thanks.
Currently thinking Middleburn RS7 with a single chainring, Royce bottom bracket, 10-speed xt cassette (as I think that'll go straight on the Hope Pro 2 hubs, whereas 11 won't, unless anybody be can tell me differently), probably an xtr mech (are 10/11 speed interchangeable?), perhaps a thumbshift rather than a rapidfire?
The 420mm fork until I can find a suitable 80mm/100mm suspension fork.
A few parts needed, then!

Back