Shhhh... Secret 1998 GT STS build *More car boot FILTH!

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Shhh! You've not seen me? Right?!

Unexpected frame in bagging area...

98/99-ish STS with whatever fitted from the shed of doom and an Ebay set of Mavic Crossride

Hayes cable operated discs and a set of stealth Marzocchi air Bombers of some sort - both from the same donor jump bike.

Hade a few bits of 9spd hanging about so went to town with the grey leaving a flash of red here and there to set it off.

Seat post is somewhere between 31.6 and 30.9mm. The current 30.9 shim is too small whereas the newly purchased 31.6 post is too big.

Fudge.

Anyway, ghetto bitsa build!

Attachments

• sts1.jpg
    sts1.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 1,668
  • sts2.jpg
    sts2.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 1,667
  • sts3.jpg
    sts3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,667
  • sts4.jpg
    sts4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,667
  • sts5.jpg
    sts5.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,738
Re: Shhhh... Secret 1998 GT STS build

Hmmm... seem to have been here before!

lts_in_the_sun_719.jpg

<tap> <tap> is this thing on? <jumps up and down waving> STS! looky! STS!!

Woohoo. I pick up a second STS in 11 hours. A semi-thrashed DS(?) 1000 or 1500 to keep my mint 1000DS company.

Lloydstrans":2ijev4ro said:
Woohoo. I pick up a second STS in 11 hours. A semi-thrashed DS(?) 1000 or 1500 to keep my mint 1000DS company.

I'll be giving this a proper test ride out tomorrow I think. Waiting for the trails to dry out a bit. Fed up with mud!

I for one love it, okay it's not as old and truly retro as others but my STS is my do it all bike, certainly have more fun on it that my modern bike on the really rough stuff. I applaud you for owning one :)

legrandefromage":2uubsarn said:
Lloydstrans":2uubsarn said:

I'll be giving this a proper test ride out tomorrow I think. Waiting for the trails to dry out a bit. Fed up with mud!
Which one? The "red" one or the stocker?

Has anyone figured out where to source the boots for the forks? Or the rubber frame guards that fit in between the triples?

The 'red' newly built one with a cassette the size of a dinner plate - I think a road cassette is required for where I live.

As for shock boots, stick a wanted ad up. Bump stops - old innertube?

Latest posts

Back