1999 Norco Cherokee Rebuild

burritohammer

Retro Newbie
I stumbled across retrobike after deciding to rebuild my first MTB which I got new sometime in 1999.

It's nothing flash at all but I thought it would be sweet to convert it to a SS for commuting to take a break from the road bike and get back out on the dirt.

stripped down with the old sis derailleur and components removed, nothing but average quality chinese hi tensile steel :LOL:
still had a Tioga Psycho EDGE front, and a ritchey harddrive on the rear!

ZeT0fPZ.jpg

searching around ebay/gumtree/FB groups etc for budget priced parts I ended up with a new front wheel barely used Coda (DT Swiss I believe) hub,
laced to a Mavic rim, Rear wheel with a Shimano LX M565 laced to a Rigida rim, picked up a pair of Geax Goma 2.25's cheap and chucked them on.

BX8CPHK.jpg

fWne1o7.jpg

AIT3RIc.jpg

reused my old "axiom" alloy risers which i thought was a bad ass upgrade back in the day, pair of hayes levers, and a neat Profile Designs stem.

C4VwpW5.jpg

realizing it had terrible stamped semi horizontal rear dropouts, and the new wheel now had a QR axle, I didnt trust the setup in being able to retain wheel position and chain tension, and i couldn't run my chain tensioner either, so I luckily found a complete donor bike just down the road on gumtree.

d7P97sm.jpg

gz5Kry1.jpg

same size 18" frame, from the same year, from what i've worked out its a Norco Bush Pilot, slight upgrade over the Cherokee this time with a derailleur hanger!
plus i think the colour is neater.

new shimano crankset and BB, with a raceface 34T NW chainring i had laying around, as well as a WTB Speed V saddle

v33XRyd.jpg

should have it finished up this week, just waiting on a few parts to arrive

pair of Avid brakes
rear sprocket/spacers
and a quill stem converter.

even though there is not really much left from my orig bike, its still going to be a fun machine!

I've got a real clean original 98 Kona Cinder Cone arriving this week which I saw while searching for parts, i couldn't help myself! trip down memory lane!
back in the day I dreamed of owning a Kona, so i'll post up that when its home!

Re:

Nice, welcome to RB

Indeed, not much left of the original bike!

Glad to hear the fleet is expanding already.....

Back