Finally I've cracked (29er content) ....

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
.... and have joined the big wheel (29 inch) club.

Originally was 2x10 but is set up as 1x10. Was looking at going to 1x11 but would need cassette, rear mech and shifter which is all ££££ :cry: ... so have gone for the cheaper route of buying a 11-42T Sunrace MX3 10 speed cassette.

Expect to see some upgrades at some point. :facepalm:

Don't quite understand why the trend seems to be for smaller diameter seatposts (27.2 mm).

Attachments

• DSC02133.jpg
    DSC02133.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,718
  • DSC02134.jpg
    DSC02134.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,718
Re: Finall I've cracked (29er content) ....

Carbon frame but will have aluminium alloy insert in seat tube as all carbon frames do, alloy rear triangle. Would have been nice to own an s-works but cant justify £3.5k+ :eek:

No shim. Ive noticed other 29 er having the smaller diameter post, forget which one.

Only negative so far is having to now carry 6mm allen key as rear axle is not q/r. I wonder if there is a gadget to fit on end of 5 mm allen key?

Re:

Maybe as it's more pure xc thoroughbred a 27.2 size was deemed ideal as its nice and flexy and dropper deemed unnecessary as it's about quick miles not big downs?

I don't know many other frames modern with a 27.2 size that aren't steel.

Is rear bolt through? 142 x 12? Might be able to get a quick release

q/r is available but don't really want to fork out £ 35. Have just bought a 6 mm allen key with one end stepped down to 5 mm. hopefully the 5mm part will drop into the hollow axle so the 6 mm part engages..... but it doesn't, oh well :cry:

Done my local offroad loop and I like it ... a lot. The wide bars suit me well and I can't say I noticed manoevreability was compromised ... but then the route was not exactly twisty. Was pleasantly surprised that I could get up the hills as I expected 32F 36R gear to be too high, even so I will be fitting the 11-42T cassette when it arrives from China (I always like to the largest sprocket spare in case of long steep climbs); may even go 30T at the front.

The clutch mechanism on the rear mech is fantastic, no chain slap at all.

Sadly it does mean this is one of the last bike I will buy as I do not see a reason for another, maybe a 29 hard tail.

Re: Finally I've cracked (29er content) .... ... updated

Started off at 12.03 kg and my target was to knock 1 kg off, probably way too optimistic but now after some upgrades, it rides at 11.3 kg. Lighter wheels - approx. 300 g, and inner tubes. Had to go for 1x11 since unable to get the freehub, cassette alone saves 100 g. Also some Ti bolts (rotor and brake calliper) and SRAM X0 chainset, which unfortunately is GXP so needs two adapters (50g) to fit the BB30. There is a carbon bar winging its way from China and a lighter saddle so I reckon I can get down to 11.2 kg.

Need to see if Hope SAW discs will work with the Formula callipers, the ones fitted are about same weight as Formula steel disc but having so much space in the braking surface, cause juddering.

Attachments

• DSC09360.JPG
    DSC09360.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,405
  • DSC09361.JPG
    DSC09361.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,405
Could well be. I resisted so as not to jump onto the stillborn bandwagon to wait until technology had matured plus have 1000s "invested" in 26 in 3x9 bikes.

Have to say it doesnt disappoint and would rate it as one of my favourites (maybe the novelty has not worn off?) Along side cannondale scalpel and ibis mojo. If i were to keep one bike, then this would be it. It also means that i dont really need another bike, which is kinda sad as my cycling years are going down in number and i was hoping to own an s-works at some point.

Re: Finally I've cracked (29er content) .... updated again

Down to 10.78 kg after fitting carbon seatpost and bars, Ti and alloy bolts, lighter inner tubes and tyres. Also lighter disc brake rotors; gone from 180 to 160 mm at the front, not convinced that this was a good move. :?

Other than a couple of Ti bolts there isn't a lot more I can do unless spending mega £££ on carbon rim wheels so that is it for now.

Attachments

• DSC02171.jpg
    DSC02171.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSC02176.jpg
    DSC02176.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSC02177.jpg
    DSC02177.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,096
Other than a couple of Ti bolts there isn't a lot more I can do unless spending mega £££ on carbon rim wheels so that is it for now.
Looks like you're running a SRAM chainring and spider on those XO cranks. You can pick up a works components narrow wide direct mount chainring for £22.50 that will save you 50-60 gr.

Back