Recommissioning my Dave Hinde M2

trig_112

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

After sitting around for the last 12 years, where it was used only twice, last time was 4 years ago, I have decided to sell on my hybrid hardtail and get my old XC bike back on the dirt.

I bought the frame only new from Dave Hinde up in Northwich and built it into my XC race bike. I had a very short lived Maxlight framed bike that bit the dust in a big crash in its second race, so I took the opportunity to save a few of the parts from it and build this Hinde M2.

The way it stands now isn't quite the way I used to race it, back then I had a EC70 flat bar which I changed for a EA70 riser in an attempt to start using it again a few years ago.

Anyway, the spec:
Dave Hinde M2 butted alloy frame
Pace RC38 ST carbon/air fork
Easton EC70 carbon seat post
Flite titanium saddle
Actor alloy seat clamp
Easton EA50 stem
Easton EA70 riser bars
FSA Orbit XL2 headset
Cane Creek Lockon grips
Shimano XTR V-brakes and levers
Shimano XTR 9 speed shifters
Shimano XTR short cage rapid rise rear mech
Shimano Ultegra cassette
Sram PC91 chain
Shimano XT hollowtech 2 chains
Shimano XT front mech
Mavic Crossmax ceramic UST wheeler
Hutchinson python/spider UST tyres

I'm taking the Avid sealed cables off and getting a new chain fitted.

There is an issue with the ceramic coating on the front wheel, it has chipped off in quite a few places which appears to be corrosion in the aluminium under the surface. I'm not entirely sure how to deal with it, probably by getting a wire wheel on an angle grinder, how hard can it be.

The forks could do with a service too, I will get that done some point soon too.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

29495543716_76ba8cd08c_z.jpg

29530209885_0aa5b54f92_z.jpg

28907617573_8ab20c0056_z.jpg

29420835142_8c84b0d779_z.jpg

Re:

I whacked a new chain on it, switched the wheels for a set of XT hubs/X517 rims, swapped out the ceramic specific pads and headed out around the local res for a ride.

Firstly, I forgot how compliant it is, after riding nothing but a full susser for around 5 years (when I bothered to get out that was). Even with what is short travel on the front, it was comfortable and I really enjoyed it.

Secondly, it really needs a lot of work.

The chain jumps like mad on only one of the cogs on the cassette, so that is on the list for replacing. I got a new bottom bracket too, but after winding the current one out, I cleaned it up best I could and put it back in. The drive side threads are mullered on the bearing cup and on the frame, so a trip to BETD might well be in order.

After much ebaying & waiting I came across a NOS 18h rim for the Crossmax wheels. It wasn't cheap, but I haven't seen another, or even a wheel for an awful long time, so I got it bought and its now waiting for the rebuild. While waiting for the rim I got a set of bearings for both wheels and swapped them out.

Next job is to build a truing stand. Box section and flat bar arrived today, so out with the welder and disc cutter. I will try and get a guide together to show how I build the truing stand.

Back