DMR Trailstar mk1 slalom bike project

shogun

Senior Retro Guru
I'm just embarking on a new project around a very early mk1 Trailstar frame I bought recently.

The idea is it will be a pretty much top spec dual slalom bike circa 1998. I am refinishing the frame in the original red, just sorting out headtube and chainstay decals then it's under the blaster. Presently cobbling together DHO and Judy XC bits into a Judy Slalom fork, although I am still chasing a few parts to complete it (vee brake style arch, SRP bolt kit, coil springs, 1997+ style adjusters). Cockpit will be Azonic bar and stem - if anyone can hook me up a SUPER clean polished or black 2.5" rise Doublewall bar I would be very appreciative - probably an SDG or Flite saddle. I'm chasing a shortcage M95x derailleur but failing that will run a 7700 dura ace. Race Face turbine cranks polished, with a MRP Slalom System guide. Wheelset is going to be rhynolites on either a boxxer hub or profile non-disc front, and GT Hadley rear. M950 brakes.

Right now most of it is either in transit from parts or unknown, or in refinishing, but when I finally had enough bits to mock up the fork I had to sit it together...Looks like it will be fun.

1998 DMR Trailstar as received by floody31, on Flickr

Oh wow, that would be AWESOME!

I've hit a few snags but I will power through. Turns out aluminium body cartridges don't fit in early Judy upper legs, which is a bit of a downer but I'm bidding on a 97 Judy DH which should take the DHO's 100mm dampers.

Snapped up a Ringle Boxxer hub yesterday, wheelset looks like being Boxxer front/GT Hadley rear and Rhynolites.

Well, I had an eventful week, managed to sort a '97 Judy DH donor fork (so I get the good preload adjusters, adjustable 80mm alloy cartridges), a Ringle-Boxxer front hub, DHO decals, and the Azonic bar/stem combo I want (Shorty/Doublewall). I am nervously awaiting the mail!

On the downside, the back of my Raceface turbine forged arm doesn't clear the MRP outer plate, so I'm hunting cranks again. Now thinking M-95# XTR with a 110 spider, but it's proving challenging to find a tidy set that isn't stratospherically expensive.

Well gone forward and back a bit. No pics yet as everything is in the air or sitting at the freight forwarders! The stuff in bold I have yet to confirm.

Spec has pretty well sorted itself though.
Frame: DMR Trailstar Mk1
Fork: Judy DHO/1997 Judy DH hybrid
Headset: Chris King, black; Azonic Headlock, red.
Bars: Azonic Doublewall, black, 2.0" rise, black Oury grips.
Stem: Azonic Shorty, 50mm, black
Cranks: M950 XTR, 180mm, 5x110 spider, Spot Brand 36t unramped hard ano chainring.
Chainguide: MRP Slalom system 36-40t
BB: M950 E-type I guess ? I have no idea what length I need with the MRP.
Brake levers: M950 XTR
Brakes: will be M950, yet to source.
Shifter: will be M951/2, yet to source.
Rear derailleur: M950/1/2 GS or Dura Ace 7700 (unless I can spring a M950 SS!)
Cassette: Dura Ace 7700 12-21t
Seat clamp: ?
Seat post: ?
Saddle: ? SDG?
Wheels: Sun Rhynolite XL, black; Ringle Boxxer 20mm hub, GT/Hadley rear, allen key skewer. Tioga Factory Mud 1.85s

Seat post is a bit of a fiddle. 25.8 size is a pain in the behind. Maybe Thomson but are they period correct? Anywhere from 1996 to 2000 is fair game I think.

Overall I think it's going to fall together well.

First parcels from the states arrived today!

20160926_122142.jpeg

Early :xmas-wink: :xmas-big-grin: :xmas-cool:

Re:

Nice! Forget how awesome those first Azonic stems looked, and how much of a departure from the normal welded together tubular stems they were. Pity there were so many poor imitations later on.

Things are going preeeeeetty slowly but I've got the fork screwed together and am about to send it out for a freshen up and some bushings. I had a graphics place remanufacture the DHO decals from a scan of the originals, unlike the reproductions on eBay these are close to the correct size and have an off-white background per original (maybe a little lighter) with white graphics. The decals are available here https://burubado.com/products/rock-shox ... 7562797092

Ended up using Judy Race 100 uppers and internals - alloy steerer 1 piece CSU, coil springs, open bath damper - and the DHO lowers.
So they'll be 100mm travel, open bath and through axle; quite modern and should be usably reliable.

Rockshox Judy DHO/Judy Race 100 hybrid by floody31, on Flickr

Back