tIB's Custom Pace RC300 build

tIB

Senior Retro Guru
So I picked up velofrog's (lovely) repaired/resprayed rc300, which I will be turning into my road ride in the coming weeks. Going for a possibly wierd colour scheme of silver/white, black and orange, which I'm hoping looks better than it sounds... You can see where it's going with the exotic carbon forks in the pictures:

2016-07-21_07-16-20 by sonofprent, on Flickr

2016-07-21_07-15-54 by sonofprent, on Flickr

Most likely going to port everything from my roady p7 over, meaning it will run 3x9 speed, with 700c wheels, hope c2's and ritchey finishing bars, stem and seat post.

Will be a little while before I can start the build but once I do it shouldn't take long.

Meanwhile, anyone know about from mech fitment on these? Do you have to use a shim or is it possible to mount to the ally near the bb?

Things coming together here, hopefully going to start/finish the build next week...

Decided to go fairly modern sram for the gearing, just because I like what I have on my maxlight and have been enjoying my first gripshift experience.

X9 rear and x7 front mech incomming, I think I've found a suitable shim for the front too though will see what it looks like when it arrives... It's a hack job albeit one that is the right size.

I have 2x10 gripshifts on the way, although I might use an x7 shifter on the left/front unless I remove a ring from my chainset... at this point I think I need the granny- peak district hills are tough on my novice legs, so potentially wierd left shifter, right gripshift is where I'm going to start with.

I've been to and fro-ing on wheels- will start life as a 700c hybrid, which may go to 26" slicks in the long run depending on how I find it. I'm pretty sure I'll find the 700c's funny looking with the carbon forks, so that may or may not be enough for me to act on it, depending on how it rides.

Looking firwars to the build...

After more scheming this will definitely be 700c- if the forks look dodgy (which I expect they will!) then I will look at other options (either the on one monocoque's or some carbon road types with disc mounts). I can always stick the exotic forks on another bike, although I do think they are the best match for the frame itself if not the wheels- !maybe I'll just learn to live with it!

Build is on!

I'm bloody terrified of putting the front mech on this- I've made a shim but it doesnt clamp to 31.8, meaning it is possible to pull it in- so is the mech I have... I'm really worried about this going crunch but can't see another way of doing things, unless the shim is supposed to clamp to size? Ive emailed pace but no joy.

Pics to come...

One area of caution that bit me on my build is the size of the front chain rings you need to run. Im running 50/42/30 ATB rings up front and have had to step out the BB a little to clear the chain stays so have a rotten chain line and a stressed front mech at the limits of its outer range. MTB compact big rings over 44T are like hens teeth.

Having said that I've done a 1000 miles on my pace with no (additional) knee injuries.

I suspect I will run into the same issues since I'm running similar. Can you remember what axel width of bb you used?

Also does your front mech shim close to fit when tightened or is there a gap? Assume you are running a metal shim?

Re:

Can't remember on shims. Think I have standard mech - no shim but will check. Not sure if the seat tube is same diameter as on rc300. I do remember that its an ordinary M95x XTR jobby. Also not sure on mech size think its 113 as had to grab a syncros Ti job off the site in a hurry. Will check my old PM's.

Latest posts

Back