1997 Voodoo Zobop - My 'borderline' full suss'er

Whatmot1

Devout Dirtbag
(I know this is technically in the wrong section however it is very borderline as some of the kit that is going on it will be later 90's and early 00's)

So this will be my third Voodoo bike and my second Voodoo build. I'd only just finished building my '07 Sobo when I first considered building a more retro full suss Voodoo (such as a Zobop or Canzo) or keeping an eye out for a 2007 29" Dambala, then a 19.5" 1997 Zobop frame popped up on The 'Bay so I went for it. And here she is:

C3rJCYf9Eqd_8X-v5ml7VggKlrQkp5mXMFbx302ushCd8bzhFS47reFNngzgWo4DYYZ2nEutifYfLXdgGkzcjfWa7de7aV7UhEwspZeerd5h8qY4-NLA6nW7uFfbMAaqkyBPGXIGmidIeCxKqkVRvSROU1h46J3KXjPE3m_XfhrRxvhZ4xM8T7GZ2nkjjtOKPLft-Zq3cq-YaMIh1V37ObfGYstiQcLMzkY6xqvqOCWTjBmMZeKgP5RSlM1_OBupAvwWJf-x2MdaVS4aTYrL1YUn29IIw4qX0nWm7QsK7MpWxMBVCdCO4qaxHS1tJQ1-1jVc_MsWVRBJIdFSklRv2IrDiJPH1hpyYhK7sbKWGLMWjlMIqXlB7qWnGzm_OQe1xqj55MIzvraVpimzeEebwUkkSMxvg26EnHxqzvGfHCAC-7WE6F-Nh-B2AYXbZS0Zt0XqlxFkUsz_ge0VKv2CVneS57JUk18XQPxYddvrU1CZqwM24ENNnoNYrn0OSsxn6hv_r7P68vJkCdOj2NF4eJq2CqgxiRPSxcBR5fFJ88rpnltViqrwAon56WWv3leawu0w=w844-h633-no

EolnIo_49-zinlOevferlSgRDEzZo51xLBFj2spx_F7F2KydsAKTrfTBjzPrezUqqQKBqWQozPP21ZBeTQB9bvDlg79dUFfEsR5Hi-YfGd5JwZxRx3gZ8gc5dGmaGJG4KOriA2yoCHstnyhMm8w93uRGKVMBdPPSgN_pgiW_yGgwVbMchrNTgIO1g2OuWJ_5UDipj3ktfFNZnPGg_Y7t0Js8Am5twbq231glhY92f7pFAIrX6Q60-d0PtVTBLOh1vvt51SWHREptMf6tss0P0dsX2edwZYn-2441SbmoFcXEZ7aOUf5cemx2KKE3RE-Xo3vO3JUEzMs1G_wL11QxMm0Q_LBijNy3BPq3eHQOL6EiQnt5AXso_zukBYOaj_h2iFd8CUbnF8x1HDjiatsRslf1qKCt4oyDjpm4_2oO8LSI7rNLYDYyN8GuxIfOXBAkrBJTqcF8zw0z1SfwfscXFFpKh2ayUZtmeFsHOpwi_UfDT4wRb4WWV7D2l4xkafBWdUdr2XhOLpcmAXCLo8XitGg-2pHvA8dcnquAyeyoSGxNEdN6O4Di_BES1xkKzD8k5hn7=w633-h450-no

There's a bit of cable rub and the original Voodoo and Zobop decals are missing. I'm thinking I'll probably get it either resprayed or powder coated at a later date but for now I just want to build'n'ride it!

Just to give you a bit of history on the Zobop; This is a first gen Zobop (released in 1997) and was sold for $1399 (USD) (about £850 back in the day). It weighed roughly 27.5lbs (~12.5kg) and was originally spec'd with Shimano STX-RC components, a Rockshox Indy XC (67mm of travel) fork and a Rockshox Deluxe (40mm of travel) rear shock (source: Know Your Bike). I believe the geometry is the same as the a Canzo of the same year:

vZWUxjtSg7zZ5u5SXcrt-ksxM62jMvt-ojoHt3Xdii4CifAfIf1Xm-X0RJOh4bOM5ROYCFsT-N7FILeEgNVfB5k519-NMRgGYRvn8ejgc_KJ8iSlMvOoqW96qTBfTTUjVzN-9UMit8hjAcaDPSj-A9wYp6I3aopQsLCEgBOaQ0M-PHJpVrc8e1-hu991xRqgYgOzHgz72N9KvvQ8YuX7w-4nB_hFwyGpe6RIil1N7G8i-NVvnWPgHOEG1I17VwckgxQZmqwubd8-8XWE9TIOlVevxRolTOF8mBxvq7w-uBbEF4zErZPPbcvmSp-QAlsvJ-PU3evVd26II2_vvl7OUKW8QyUJuVBSwlKCXn5VpP7WcvetmKrpXITTS7L4Sui9YQ32sjgEpWtIHdojTbEIhM038TkVkHBFg3XWiWDJ1jxpk8jM_Gj6oez61m8EuRdQEmh9OgsS8IRjIfwcu5cpCTT0ozTFufzsZyXIFuJz8AcI_0OI98njcH-2lyTnwGS_1u-NDeD7An4GV396q74OfZQ5aQ6LZpP76Qtlj5GX8J2HtFFEN9EtCamIW9RPbD424mww=w563-h316-no

Source: 1997 Voodoo Catalogue (on here)

I was going to restore the bike to it's original spec but Rockshox forks of that era were a bit naff (plus STX-RC groupset apparently isn't that great but I'll talk about that specifically in a bit). So I started doing a bit research into that era when downhill was just starting to separate itself from XC racing, and when Marzocchi revolutionised front suspension forks with their Z1! The Z1 (as far as I'm aware) only came in 100mm travel, however the next year (199:cool: they released the Z2 with 75mm of travel. The following year the Z2 had either 65mm or 80mm of travel (Source: Yojimg.net). So I decided I would aim for an 80mm Z2 BAM as I figured this would be a nice but marginal upgrade. And after not too much looking around I found (and bought) a set of Z2 BAM's with the original box and dust boots! (I also think the red stanchions will look smart against the red frame)

sBAFRPiXoi5mtAjOx_yOkBlgQvBQUaFPKANTWT3egR-EaNquREdtPKrKJ3oRQ3VTe2I6g3X1Qb51M9ccTG-QWwaPLJszB8YJrte6DSSiyzB8yrM3Dh7DR4W9ZTVoCKtkjY1TSVr4F-psKvSyu2K-REiqXH-mgm2LapfA_HE56aez7bnwDaGNSD5PEYjnc17bbrIpy81jne33Vhqc6kj5Pc_89rJehwq3AyUfzUTYssGOtJAjpQR9AOgsEf9zSMKfBQtQjeXfLA4zyNy9_m8VAI-5ROn3YfrsUestPZ6iM53MDe9G2qpRiD9CmbC0m8ojTknPYZUMkE8pbj9cbYun7gdNruyfuJrQXL5u_2y_YoxMrJSbQRbH3pJukiX7DYve8SyHKyeThmybCuF2O6uju1BfXQL4Qw2NLLjY_sA340w46j-liN3SdShtF3wvmxyuhGOOvJlrm8bPZmOBswn2FrPFXpXbDG5wS5O1TZktJoQ0Np-dzZ-qBvElq5oSi02yzDuUSO2yfXJigHjN3Eow9xTHq35TFbS5Ui-v5BrrtuovTFzi3FMNTABOpez3h_MghJlq=w583-h540-no

As for the groupset, I am led to believe the STX-RC was a fairly low-spec groupset? In any case I've decided to upgrade to an XT groupset of the same age: the M735-9. The M735-9 ran until 1999 so it would make a bit of sense to make the jump to the M750 of that year (to 2003) but I decided to stick with an 8 speed setup of the 735-9. Again, after not too much hunting a found a chap on here (cybernck) who had an entire groupset (ST, BR, FD, RD, FC, BB, CS) in lovely condition for sale incl Ritchey wheels and tyres. I was toying with the idea of putting some Magura (hydraulic) brakes (of the era) but for what I will use it for there's no point having the extra faff and weight. I might also put some slightly wider (2.1) and more modern tyres (WTB Velociraptor's? IRC Mythos'?) of it but for now the 1.9 Ritchey Z-Max's will do the job.

So lastly I have the job of deciding and acquiring some 'finishing' kit. I thinking I'm going to have to make a compromise on the era for the stem as I want to run a stem of 50-70mm. It seems that shorter stems didn't start appearing until the early 00's unless someone else knows otherwise? With that in mind, I will probably aim for an Azonic CNC type stem. I will also probably couple it with a set of (DH) riser bars, maybe Club Roost or Azonic too.

Currently as it stands I have 95% of my bike jig-saw puzzle ready for assembly once I go on leave; I will keep you posted as it progresses...

Nice bike and Z2's should suit it.
Personally I love stx rc, indestructible and functions very well.

Re:

Nice! I remember the Sobo you've got..
Interesting experience with URT to come..? ;)

You're not off on the stem era btw, Azonic had 50 & 75mm stems (and plenty of copies around too!) before Jan '98 (according to the MBUK I happen to have next to me), so they must have been available well in the Zobop era for copies to be on the market in Jan '98.

STX-RC are some of the easiest to setup and reliably efficient v-brakes out there too - just need unthreaded post pads. Should be a fun build!

wow!!!!
that z2 bam looks so good...it reminds me when at the elementary school my friends collected stickers and i spent my few money for mountainbikeaction or other italian mtb magazines... amazing!!!

Hi Osella. The Sobo is due at XT upgrade as well; hopefully it'll get more use next year then it did this year!

With regards to stems of the era, any idea what models Azonic had out around that time? Shorty? World Force?

Thanks in advance...

Re:

Ah, that should knock a few more grammes off the Sobo then! ;)

Agreed on the Bombers, they look awesome!
Yup - both Azonic Shorty and Azonic World Force, and the Trans-X stems were all available. in 50 & 75, also Roox Danny's Stem in 80mm - plus Amoeba copies, so you should have a good variety.

You going to re-decal it, or leave it as is?

That's the plan. The shifting was a bit hit&miss with the Deore 'set so hopefully upgrading to XT will sort that as well.

Cool stuff. I've got my Ebay on the look out for cnc stems so I'll see what comes along in black.

Yeah I'm hoping to get some direct from Voodoo but it seems Mr Murray has handed the running of the company to a new bloke who's still finding his feet

Kinda.. Joe Murray has never 'run' Voodoo. It's always been a Taiwanese/Japanese company and ol' Joe was just brought in as a frame designer. He still works for them as a consultant.
The first changing hands was from Shinji to Sandra Lam about 10 years ago, and Sandra's been running Voodoo since, bringing in other people to re-start US distribution and then there's the UK licensing/importing deal with Halfords..
Shinji Mizutani also owned/owns Titec, hence why Titec parts were specced on Voodoos back in the day.

If you need good decals, Gil (Gil_M / Cycle Shed) has Voodoo vectors on file, and should be able to reproduce a decal set for you - I got mine from Gil for my Hoodoo.
Black stems are definitely harder to come by than raw Alu ones! Another one I remembered is the Tioga Cube from the same era; dark grey colour & short lengths.

P.S. Hmm; bars? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=334113

That makes sense about Titec; I had noticed that Voodoos use to be fitted with it.

Ok cheers for the heads up on the decals. I just haven't found an actual 'Zobop' decal yet. I may have to find another Zobop owner and get them to take a pic of the logo.

I saw a couple of black ones the other week and should of got one. If not I might get a silver one anodised.

Back