Wookiee's 2015 Travers Rudy Ti 29er latest pics page 6

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

Those who know me know that I have been hankering for a bit of Ti for a while. After getting hooked on the bigger wheels for the last couple of years with my Santa Cruz Highball, an opportunity came along to get some Ti 29er in my life! A couple of riding friends have gone with Travers frames (Nobby with his fat, Gravy monster with his Rudy semi fat and another mate Heathy with his 29+). And then I was alerted to a steal of a deal. James pointed me towards a large Travers Rudy Ti frame that was on sale...it was too good a price to turn down so I pulled the trigger.

The frame needed a different BB and Headset so got them fitted by Michael a Praxis press fit and a KCNC headset. Then the frame arrived...a beautiful thing!

Doug

Attachments

• Rudy frame.jpg
    Rudy frame.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,833
Re:

So it got built up with the parts from my Highball, apart from needing a new seatpost I had the parts to fit. 1st issue was the M985 XTR front mech that was just impossible to set up without the cage rubbing ...then tried a M786 XT high band mech... still in the inner ring and the the lowest 3 sprockets at the rear it rubs. It was good enough though for me to get out on it and have a go!

Attachments

• 1st build Rudy.jpg
    1st build Rudy.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,831
  • Rudy muddy 1st outing.jpg
    Rudy muddy 1st outing.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,831
Re: Wookiee's 2015 Travers Rudy Ti 29er

titanium, hope wheels, and will arrive the 1x11..

...if there will be also a Thomson cockpit and a pair of Hope brakeset...it will be like THE bike!

amazing frame man!!!
with a 120mm (more trail less xc oriented) forks and less spacers between headset and stem it will be also more beautifu!

Re:

The perfect day! The last of the parts to change to 1X11 arrived this morning, which happens to be my day off this week! Sweet, so kitted it all out and it looks beautiful the cranks are even growing on me in the flesh they look good.

With a little trepidation I set out this afternoon for the shakedown ride. My biggest concerns were running out of gears at either end, and the chain dropping that I had heard about with 1X setups. My fears were completely unfounded! It was awesome!!!

Running a 32T front and a Shimano XT 11-42 cassette I actually found that even on the steepest muddiest of my usual climbs I didn't use the 42 at the rear...so maybe going to try a 34 at the front as I found I could have used a bit more on the road to my local trails. But more weirdly the bike felt totally different and I don't know how just quicker to accellerate.

It was lovely to not be thinking what ring at the front I should be in for the next section etc, and offroad I didn't run out of gears at all. The Shimano set up works perfectly. The shifting in nice and positive, the clutch mech actually does what it claims to, not a hint of chain drop or jumping. All at a reasonable price! Whats not to like.

I urge you to try it...it really does work!

Doug

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,775
Re: Wookiee's 2015 Travers Rudy Ti 29er

coomber":3t544dn6 said:
Looks pretty perfect to me mate

Thanks mate, going to change the stem for a black one and slightly longer. I currently have an Easton Haven 75mm Mag one, but thinking of either 80mm Thomson elite X4 or a Haven 85mm. Might try and loose some of the spacers on the steerer too! Will you be at 24/12 or Mayhem in 2016?

Re:

Yeah mayhem for sure.

24/12 always clashes with my boys birthday, but if nothing else might drive down and bellow abuse at you all in the evening. It's pretty local.

Back