How much will my Marin cost?

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
I have no idea how much the true cost of any of the bikes I have ever owned has been, I figured now was the time to start..

First up I bought, what turns out to be, a pretty much original 2001 Marin ShoreTrail from gumtree.

Cost £100 + £23.99 in LPG to make the 260 mile return trip

TTD £123.99

Re:

Day 1 I replaced the wheels using wheels I already had (these are temporary as I plan to go disc brake asap) so I apportion no cost. I replaced tyres and tubes with NOS items I have had in my spares for 15 years, along with a seat post clamp that I have had for even longer. Again I apportion no cost for these as they would probably have still been there when they bury me if not for this bike. Brake cable and pads for the rear brake are the same story and again they are temporary whilst I prepare for the disc brakes, so no cost.

Still at £123.99

Re:

The last thing I thought would be at the top of my list is pedals, the fitted beartraps are just not what I am used to. A pair of Wellgo LU313 at £11.95 delivered on order.

£135.94

After some rear shock confusion a new Suntour Raidon 165 on order at £69.00 delivered.

TTD £204.94 - don't tell the wife

Re:

Seatpost already has some offset and seat is right back implying bars - saddle (cockpit) is too short.

Maybe a slightly longer stem and less rise?

Re:

Good observation, initially I was disapointed that the bike felt so wrong. Set up as it is it feels fine, but I accept not ideal for more adventurous terrain. I have a lower and longer Profile stem I plan on trying as soon as i replace the forks.

Should be good for Wheelies though ;)

Re:

Next step is a FSA Orbit headset. Which is a shame as the WTB comp headset is smooth, but I want comparability across all my bikes where possible.

Re:

£204.94 - £8.20

The cost briefly moves back in my favour following the sale of the Panaracer tyre to Like Clockwork netting me £8.20, cost to date at £196.74.

Back under £200 was for a very brief period in time, a cheap ass Vader (or is that Cheap for your ass) sadle at £6.85 deliverd plus a Clarks EXO hydraulic disk brake set at £29.99 delivered. I could not ignore that for a full system including levers, calipers, hoses (pre Bled) and a hose reduction kit.

Todays total stands at £241.78 and I still need to order that headset.

I am not sure tracking the cost is such a good idea, headset, wheelset, new transmission, powder coat, front forks, seatpost bar & stem to come. This is going to end up at £700+. Perhaps it is best I dont know!

Re:

You're changing a quility wtb headset that works perfectly fine for another because you want the to all look the same?

Latest posts

Back