My 456 Evo II

jointhedotz

Retro Guru
Hi all,

Thought I'd share this as I love it muchly.........

I used to ride back in the late 90's, lived on my bike back then until as we all know booze/cars/failed attempts at meeting women. These days I'm hurtling towards 40 at a faster rate than i thought possible and am trying to offset the calorie intake from 'sanity booze' with some wholesome dirty fun (mountain biking).

I bought a used Voodoo about 2 years ago, one of the Halfords jobbies (not in the scottish sense). Great bike, loved it....but at 6'2 an 18" was at best optimistic....

I upgraded the voodoo a while with an end goal in sight.....a 2nd hand 456 frame. On-One however had other ideas and stated selling off the 26ers at a low low price so I snapped on up.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!

It took a few mins to get used to the head angle, at low speed this thing feels like it has flat tyres but once rolling it handles sublimely (in my limited experience).

Anyway, nowt flash as i'm on a budget (kids, dogs, and houses are awesome but not cheap)....some pics:

The Voodoo just before I stripped her

The 456

looking back at first crash

Main Spec:

On One 456 Evo 2
Recon 351 130mm off here
Superstar Sentinal/Switch Wheelset
XT m750 rear mech
Old Deore cranks (square taper.....RETRO!)
32t SS NW ring and 11-32 deore cassette
The Voodoo's cheapy brakes

Things to do:

Dropper (I'm sold without trying one)
Better Brakes
Less draggy tyres than the current Mountain King 2 2.4's

Re:

Cheers mate. Was looking for a used one but after watching them sell for 70-80 regularly on ebay they jumped to 100ish and at that 150 for a new one was a no brainer.

Ride-wise i think it's perfect for the trails around durham, not 90's kona 'compliant' but has enough give to make the roots bearable and happy with being ridden xc as well as thrashed.

I was bloody tempted by yours though! lol

The only issue is that i can't ride for toffee these days

Stiffee was also on my list actually....lol, would have bought the one off here if my forks' steerer wasn't too short (even the 456 required a daft stem choice)

I think this burly all-rounder style of bike works well here, but remember how harsh my 2002 Stuff was over roots so steel won lol. My 2001 Scab though...miss that.

Re:

i love my 456 its not to light but its really fast im on a mission to make it light as i can and blingy :) when i go ride i spend most the time trying to pick between the 456 and my orange patriot :/

think mine's about 28-29lb, probably 28 (voodoo was 27 and this frame isn't MUCH heavier)

The SS Timberline in my sig was 30lb lol

Re:

mine weighs about the same :) i aim to get the weight down quite a bit starting with light wheelset btw my 456 is gen 1

Back