Singular Rooster 29 plus

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
It's been a while since I posted here, but here goes for my latest project. I was interested in the Krampus 29plus bike, I am a firm believer in big tires at low pressures. And when Sam presented the Singular Rooster in striking yellow I was won over and joined his kickstarter.

Plan of this build was to create an all-round trailbike on the 29plus platform. Key is to limit the weight penalty for the plus size by using carbon rims and remarkably feathery Panaracer tires. Less than 400gr for the 35mm rims and 760-770gr for the tires is better than anticipated even.

So far so good, next I'll convert the tires to tubeless and then it's time to get out on the trails. Enjoy!!

IMG_55731.JPG

Sam's solution for the bracket, 1x10v build, double crank works. BB is middle-low, I will also try the rear/middle height position.

IMG_55751.JPG

Trusty drivetrain
IMG_55692.JPG

full length cable housing, Typical Singular unicrown rigid forks
IMG_55711.jpg

Cockpit with Answer Enduro 20/20 bar. Precise and comfortable
IMG_55671.JPG

IMG_55791.JPG

Thanks guys,

Credit for the colour goes to Sam at Singular Cycles I guess. Today I have converted the front wheel to tubeless, no go with the handpump but easy going with a compressor. If it is a success on the trail tomorrow the rear will follow soon.

Enjoy!!

First update too: Absolute Black oval chainring, my first attempt at oval rings:
IMG_5594.JPG

Re:

Looking good, but then I would say that, I've just finished building mine! Look forward to hearing some ride reports :)

Kaiser you are tha man, looking forward to your unveiling, geared or Singlespeed?

This weekend I have drawn "First Mud", I took out the Rooster for the Sunday group ride with "the usual suspects". Trails I know like my back garden and that I have ridden on all kinds of bikes. So here's my first impressions:

First the good: the Rooster is a wonderfully balanced trail bike, the handling is the real highlight. I got on with it right from the first gentle lap around the block and it was even better in the dirt, intuitive. Larger rolling diameter and mass in motion lend it real stability, but it carves singletrack just fine. And it'll corner on a sixpence without feeling cumbersome, though at high revs the gyro effect makes itself felt. Works beautiful at lower speeds, it'll be a killer singlespeed. This is my third Singular 29er frame after Swift and Pegasus, and each have a character of their own. But in all 3 bikes I like the result of Sam's tweaking of his front end geometries.

And the cush of the 3" Plus format complements the direct feedback of the rigid steel 29er frame. It's like Yin & Yang, I love the ride at just below 1 bar front and rear. Compared to 2.4" at a few tenth above 1 bar it is noticably better on rough sections (think root carpets, we don't do rock in Holland) Still some experimenting with tire pressures to do, I reckon it is sensitive to the last few psi.

Added bonus? When slicing through deep mud the brakes stay cleaner for longer :D

The flip side? We were 3 weekend warriors normally evenly matched, my mates on light carbon 29ers on 2.25s. The ride is a mix of fast hardpack, technical singletracks and some loose sandy sections. Bottom line, yesterday after 30 minutes I was the third man for most of the ride. The plus tires bringeing benefits on selected sections only, and the "extra's" I felt all ride long. It was just a few percent harder work and over 45k I did not have that to spare. That said, could be I was not at my best and tyre pressures matter. Will try a few more times.

Enjoy!!

IMG_5607s.jpg

IMG_5605s.jpg

IMG_5599s.jpg

Re:

Good stuff, I read a blog way back where the guy riding the Rooster was racing an endurance event. As the race went on the comfort of the bike started to payback and he felt a lot less beat up. The trick will be to get the carbon lads out on longer rides and watch them wilt ;)

I'll do a thread with mine in it. A cheeky copy and paste from the fat bike forum will do it

Cool build. I have had similar results on group rides with others on "regular" 29er tires.

The 29+ tires are great for bombing over rough or muddy stuff, but you work more to keep up going through the rest of the terrain (especially as I'm running Surly Dirt Wizards, which have really tall knobbies).

Still find it hard to go back to 2.4's, though.

Back