Retro Newbie
YF58uLN.jpg

jpsccNb.jpg

3I8weoW.jpg

gictp5w.jpg

Xx96lW5.jpg

8jSgWpW.jpg

w7VTgZb.jpg

Just had a new BB fitted, an SLX crankset appeared at the same time, fancy that! Thought I'd upload some pics and say hi, been lurking for a while :)

July 2014 I decided to start cycling to work and I retrieved my old Gary Fisher from the guy who was looking after it from me. It was worn out - a few parts needed immediate attention so I bought a new rear mech and shifter, brake levers and a wheelset.

I've been slowly upgrading it using brand new parts, trying to keep weight down and buying when things are on offer.

Very happy with it's current state of evolution, next on the list is a pair of lightweight forks and a conversion to disk brakes.

The frame is a tiny bit big for me. I'd like something in 18" and a bit lighter but I'll see how it feels with some carbon forks before I look at new frames. Keeping my eye out on the for sale section here though!

Spec so far:

98 Gary Fisher Wahoo 19" frame
Nasty Manitou Spyder 80mm fork
Mavic crossride wheelset - Mavic hubs
Maxxis DHT 2.1 tyres
Deore 11-36 cassette
SLX crankset with 40t ring
Zee short cage rear mech
Zee shifter
Avid speed dial levers
Unknown v-brakes
El-Gaupo Ancho riser bar
Vavert Grips
Fire Eye broil pedals, 50mm stem and seat post
SDG Ti-alloy saddle in camo
A red bell

Slow on here these days Jim! Your post above made me chuckle though

I think these are really underrated - you're looks really good. Not sure I'd cope with only a 40t front ring though!

Some rigid forks will speed up the commute a fair bit I reckon.

Re:

Welcome to the forum ;)

I do like a nice Fisher, or three! :shock:

Mike

Attachments

• Fisher family.jpg
    Fisher family.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 1,894
superstu":vsy5h1cn said:
Slow on here these days Jim! Your post above made me chuckle though

I think these are really underrated - you're looks really good. Not sure I'd cope with only a 40t front ring though!

Some rigid forks will speed up the commute a fair bit I reckon.

Hi, yeah I figured this section wasn't the most popular either :?

Thanks for the praise! I was uncertain about modernising an old bike but I'm really loving it now. You see few Fishers around these days in the UK but everyone seems to have respect for them :mrgreen:

I don't live in a hilly area and I can get about 29mph which is more than enough for me! I like the simplicity of the 10 speed.

Mike Muz 67":vsy5h1cn said:
Welcome to the forum ;)

I do like a nice Fisher, or three! :shock:

Thanks. Very cool site, loving some of the bikes on here. I have some fresh inspiration to build something as a secondary bike now.

Very excited about your three Fishers there. Exactly what I hoped to find! :D

Any info / more pics / threads on them? I'll do some hunting!

Re: Re:

Dangerjim":19gfqbs0 said:
Mike Muz 67":19gfqbs0 said:
I'll Pm you fella

Mike

Received. Some quality evening reading there, thanks!

You're welcome.
Manitou SXR forks would look ok I think. Owned both those and Spyders, and I think they're better. Can get in orange, red or blue, if you want to get colourful!

Mike

Re:

I like it. I missed out on a 2000 Hoo Koo E Koo in May, bought it on Ebay but the sale fell through. I really wnated the famous long top tube. Ended up building up something completely different which it ok, but lacks that "something" that Fishers have!

I will have a pair of Manitou Six in black going spare and cheap soon if you are minded to change forks. In black, 90/100mmm (changeable), with modern reverse arch lowers, and in good condition. Basic, like a Magnum or Spyder.

Back