And so it begins - Azonic MK1 Build

sectionate

Old School Hero
11807697_946126488138_1241808384660066242_o.jpg

Picked this up on eBay for very cheap, and I can remember lusting after it as a teenager when a friend purchased one!

The plan is to build it with period bits;I have found some Z1's and a few other bits and bobs.

Watch this space

awesome! I had one of these back in 1998ish,
mine was built with:
Azonic bars in silver and shorty stem
mavic D521CD rims
IRC Kujo DH tyres
Flite ti saddle
Shimano LX shifter/hubs/rear mech/cassette/chain
Magura Tomac HS33 brakes
FSA power pro crank - this was made of cheese!!!
bash guard which was made at college!
..wait for it......Project 2 forks! haha it was a trials build with a stupidly low BB!

great for bunny hops, I used to be able to manage about 30 inches!!

I'll be watching this built with interest :)

Cheers guys.

Current plan is to find a set of D521 Ceramics, get a Hope C2 front brake and a Vee rear. As for the cranks, I remember rounding off the old square types in no time at all, so I am going to find a 3 piece set and have a single ring at the front.

Got a Tioga DH sofa saddle in the post and an FSA orbit headset. XT rear mech from a friend coming too.

Ebay has some azonic bars and stems that I will bag at some point.

How do I want the old Tioga DH 2.3 tyres...?

Re:

Awesome a friend bitd had one with rock shox triple clamps he used to does some pretty crazy stuff on it!

I have to admit, whilst the majority will be retro, I have been swayed by the new single front ring, 10 speed setups with clutch rear mechs that have come about.

My self control collapsed (don't buy anymore parts until I have booked a holiday) and I have everything I need flying at me from various directions in the post :)

Build will be as follows:

Azonic DS-1 MK1 Frame
Marzocchi Z1 BAMS (1998 version, need new oil seals)
FSA Orbit II XL headset (new, but I had one on my old 24seven darkangel ten years ago)
24Seven Stem
Azonic World Force Riser Bars
ODI Lockon Grips

Drivetrain is a new Shimano Zee set (I wanted the narrow-wide rings and clutched rear mech :oops: )
DMR V12 Pedals
Tioga DH Sofa Seat (lol)

Mavic D521 Ceramic Rims on two different types of hop hubs (Hope TI front, bulb rear). Managed to find a bulb front hub, so I can run a disc
Tioga DH front and rear tyres (2.3, for drag).

Xtr rear vee brake and avid lever (bargin on ebay)
Hope C2 front disc

I'll post pictures of the build, thinking of making a timelapse video of it...

The build continues:

IMG_4266.jpg

Forks will need a service as the oil seals are dead (parts on order), and the stem turned out to be for a bmx :facepalm:

Going to have a Mavic d321 on Hope XC hub be built by my local shop, so I can run a front disc. Rear is a D521 Ceramic on Hope XC hub with XTR vee.

For the eagle eyed, the crankset isn't retro as I want to ride, and couldn't find a set of old three piece cranks..

Back