Kona Kaboom

hamster

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Here's my 2000 Kaboom, got in a straight swap with Shinobi for an identically-sized 1999 Cindercone. A heck of a lot of goodwill was added, thanks Paul! :cool:
The build was laughably straightforward: only 5 bolts needed to be undone and refitted, plus headset and bottom bracket. Kona had even spaced the cable stops exactly the same distance apart!

Just done the first ride, it was absolutely hammering it down, so on with the winter overshoes and everything. Still, plenty of smiles and a warm 'glad I went out' feeling like the bathwater in my shoes. :D

Handling feels identical!

For those who care, the wheels are Hope lightweight on X517 front, Hope screw-on built with the axle the wrong way round and reverse dish on a Mavic 317 rear.
Kona TB P2 fork, Easton EC70 bars with cane creek bar-ends, Syncros stem, Hope headset and Avid SD Ti levers and Avid 25 brakes.
Seatpost is a Thomson Elite - 27.2. Kona data suggests 27.0 but the post was really sloppy. 27.2 fits very smoothly. Saddle is a San Marco Bontrager Ti with lambskin glove leather re-covering by me.

Attachments

• Kaboom.jpg
    Kaboom.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,266
Re:

That looks great :D glad it rides well too , have you checked the
" glow in the dark " decals yet ? :LOL:

Cheers Paul

Yes, enjoyed them. UV levels a bit low today though!!!

I managed to drag the wheel out of line on each pedal stroke when out of the saddle, so definitely need two chain tugs not just one. You'll know the bit, the forest track from Linford Bottom up to Stoney Cross. Might check the QR isn't bottoming on the LH axle tip though.

hamster":1fvzencp said:
Yes, enjoyed them. UV levels a bit low today though!!!

I managed to drag the wheel out of line on each pedal stroke when out of the saddle, so definitely need two chain tugs not just one. You'll know the bit, the forest track from Linford Bottom up to Stoney Cross. Might check the QR isn't bottoming on the LH axle tip though.
Very nice area , i seem remember riding back and forth through the stream by the bridge at the west end of Linford Bottom :LOL: been many years but i seem to remember riding out the woods onto forest from there almost out to the A31 and coming down a great forest track through some woods that came out at a road that led up to Red Shoot maybe ?
Talking 20 years plus ago though :facepalm:
I did wonder about the chain tug myself , are you using an ordinary QR ? they do say the allen key type are better

Paul

That's exactly my usual lunchtime route - up to the top of the hill above the Red Shoot and back. It's a good workout when you only have one gear.

hamster":1mx8rr6u said:
That's exactly my usual lunchtime route - up to the top of the hill above the Red Shoot and back. It's a good workout when you only have one gear.
:shock: :shock:

The Kona is looking excellent mate but can you put a couple more different pics up please as i'd like to see a bit more of your lovely bike mate :) ..

It's a 120mm 15 degree, although on my identical geometry (I think) Lava Dome I found a 110mm 5 degree felt about the same. I guess that the lower rise was compensated by a shorter length.

Couple more pictures added:

Attachments

• kaboom2.jpg
    kaboom2.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 1,111
  • kaboom1.jpg
    kaboom1.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 1,111
Back