Merlin malt- Frame change GT avalanche 1.0

kyle888

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm in the process of updating my Merlin Malt here is a pic of its last incarnation.

Plan is to build a low maintenance bike with discs that's ready for some good xc use!

yes i know it's not a kona but the decals are £3, i was bored of a bare frame and if you squint you could think it was a kula ;) !

Flat bars, bar ends, p2's, xt v's and wheels all gone now although forks have been replaced with another set of p2's with a disc mount.

The plan is to convert to a disc set up and also to go back to a riser bar as i didnt like the flats!
I have a set of virtually new mavic d521's on deore disc hubs, a2z adapter and also the new disc p2's are here the rest of the parts are in the post!

Updates soon

kyle

Re:

Some new parts in the post today :)

I have a 203mm front rotor and adapter on its way ;) (good job i don't mind a stoppie!)

more parts still to come hopefully tomorrow!

Then comes the fun part fitting it all:)

Re:

I took the forks to work to remove the brake bosses but in the end i decided to just cut them off and repaint!

Re:

All finished! :) well apart from final setup.

I'll add some better pics when i can get some in daylight!

Glad i cut the brake studs off now looks a lot cleaner!

Ignore the quondo scewer they are both deore hubs with D521 rims!

Re:

Quick ride by my house to check everything out!
All good rides just how i wanted it to, just need to adjust slight rubbing out on the front disc.

Hopefully a proper ride next sunday :)

Re:

Went up the malvern hills yesterday which was good. It was raining on the way up and i had to stop a few times cause i am very unfit.
The sun came out along the top of the hills and then a big rain cloud was coming over from hereford way so then i decended quite quickly down some steep zig zagging singletrack.
I have to say the new brakes were awesome great power and modulation didnt lock the front wheel once even in the wet (although i did deliberately to test it a few times) a credit to the tires as well! :)

Re:

Interesting this, thinking about some bb7's for my Kona Pahoehoe build. Glad to hear they work so well.

Back