** ALVES 853 **

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
this just returned home after paying a visit to ben cooper of kinetics in glasgow for a rear disc mount and a powdercoat matte grey paintjob. the paint seems more satin than matte, but it's cool regardless!

i ordered up a new 853 decal too, all i need to do now is decide how to build it....... :?

might do some additional paintwork myself..... maybe something on the headtube (fluo yellow with high gloss lacquer, or maybe matte black). will get some Alves decals made and cut as a mask so i can spray it in high gloss lacquer for a subtle look......

here are a few quick pics, will update this thread as the project moves forward :cool:

Attachments

• a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 4,072
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 4,073
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 4,074
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 4,073
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 4,071
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 4,070
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 4,070
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 4,072
Re: ALVES 853 repaint/rebuild WIP

Is this the green and white one?

Edt: that'll be yes then.

Nice. Understated. Classy.

Re:

wow, you were fast jason!! :shock:

yeah, that's the one, the original rear disc mount was a little restrictive from a brake choice point of view, and there were a few rust worms developing beneath the 15 year old paint, so thought i'd give it a quick refresh! :D

left the original brake tabs on too, just to keep the originality intact :cool:

this is the original, very neat and compact placement

AB28C5C8-A002-4DA9-A613-CF27A0E4427A.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: ALVES 853 repaint/rebuild WIP

I wasn't too keen on the old scheme. Very much of its time. This is much more timeless.

Can't wait to see the build.

Re:

black and gold wheels look surprisingly good (although my photos don't do them justice).....

Attachments

• cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 4,048
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 4,048
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 4,048
Re:

Nice colour choice :cool:

Is that only 853 main tubes?

Re:

cheers! :D

main tubes are prototype flat-sided teardrop 853, seat tube is 853, and chain stays 853..... the only tubes that are not are the seat stays which are columbus nemo

Re:

:cool:

The only reason I asked is that the chainstays looked like the 853 ones on my Dekerf and I used the 'main tubes' decal when the whole frame is 853 :facepalm:

Re:

i had the choice, but decided to stick with Main Tubes as i knew the seat stays were not 853, they were however about as light as a sheet of A4 paper each! i can remember being amazed by the lack of weight when Charlie (the frame builder) suggested using them!

Back