Oops, looks like a new project - Rockhopper Pro

Korszun

Devout Dirtbag
So, I normally spend my time here looking at and occasionally building early 90s bikes which I enjoy very much. My mountain biking history mostly involves a long hiatus from about 1995 to 2013 during which I discovered alcohol, work, family etc... Naturally upon discovering retrobike I went about building a couple of bikes my 14 year old self would have loved to own (and my mid thirties self does love to own) however I am a bit precious about them getting dirty. Anyway, we live in a fantastic place for off road riding, Mid Wales however in the Winter (and most of the summer if I'm honest) the mud can be a bit claggy in places and the old rim brakes can get a bit, well you know....

My mate at work recommended disks to me so I went about doing some instantaneous research and soon discovered that retrofitting a disk tab to an old frame is not the best idea, especially if, like me your brief hiatus from sport has meant a slightly larger mass in the body department, especially around the middle. So I convinced myself that retro frames and parts were too much 'in vogue' anyway and probably commanded an unreasonably high price tag (not to mention the cyber bullying that goes on as soon as someone even thinks about repainting/modifying/slightly altering an old frame). Therefore I began to think about a more modern project, as a rider not a garage queen. Naturally I shunned doing any research in favour of jumping on eBay 'to have a look' and about half an hour later I had accidentally bought, what looks like a reasonable 04/05 frame in my size with a factory disk tab - a Rockhopper Pro. I'm pretty happy with this for the price I paid.

Anyway, I now have two problems.
1. My parts bin contains virtually nothing post 1995 so I'm going to have to acquire the rest of the bike slowly. Anyone got any good gear going cheap?
2. We're about to move house and the sight of a bike frame being delivered could get me into a considerable amount of trouble, oh crap. Advice?

So, here's the frame - anyone know what model year it is and can anyone offer an opinion if it's any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-R ... 7675.l2557

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back