2001 GT Zaskar re-build

RDM

Dirt Disciple
thought id start a build thread. bought a 2001 GT Zaskar frame to replace a cracked merlin. plan was to swap everything over. then had a change of heart and decided to build a nice little single speed for days out through the park and stuff.

frame came and was in decent enough condition but my plan was to have a full ball burnished finish to it. first job was to send it off to be vapour blasted ( same guy who has done my friends Honda xl250 ). I also had a set of marzocchi bomber z2 BAM's that I thought would fit nicely so these were vapour blasted at the same time.

frame and forks are now back. I've serviced the forks, cleaned, stripped, fresh seals and oil. loosely built back up as they need to come back apart and the brace and crown sent off with the frame for ball burnishing.

started to gather a few parts together now for the assembly. few more collect. but the final build should hopefully consist of the following :

2001 GT Zaskar frame. marzocchi bomber z2 forks. Thomson seat post, stem and carbon bars. avid ultimate v brakes. flite seat. mavic x618 ceramics built onto white industries eno hubs. eno ss crank. CK headset and BB and a few other nice little bits and bobs.

will post some pics up of the progress so far.

that's the dilemma ! is it worth sending the frame off for burnishing ? don't want to build it up as it is then strip back down. think I may just go ahead as planned and get it burnished.

Re:

Wow that looks really good for WIP, what decals are you going to fit? I have the same frame and similar forks that are looking a bit tatty. Could you let me know who did the vapour blasting please?

I've been in touch with Gil and he is doing me a special set. don't want to say too much yet and they are going to be one -offs for this build. not period correct or anything like that as the build was never planned to be a 2001 build.

the vapour blasting was done by www.fjaquablasting.co.uk

Re:

If it's burnished it's like any Zaskar (don't get me wrong, I'm just waiting for a '97 M-sized frame to pop up for sale :D) but that finish would make it unique. The question is whether it stays like this or if it gets shiny from heel rub etc. Especially the black parts would IMHO go better with the matte silver ...

Greetings from Vienna

Mathias

little update. stickers arrived from Gil on Saturday morning. very quick turnaround and very impressed. id had a set made in 2011 / 2012 team carbon style. just applied them this morning. frame now going to the paint shop to be lacquered.

was planned to be ball burnished but reading comments above ( Wienerwald ) decided to try out the satin finish.

hubs due this week and hopefully will be built up by next. then a few more parts to source and it will nearly be complete.

Back