Kinesis Maxlight XC (Modern Content)

T99

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, this is my first build thread, so please be nice :)
About a year ago I bought a Kinesis Maxlight XC frame from Fatal Swan via eBay (It can be seen in its previous drop bar road incarnation here: viewtopic.php?t=155993). Anyway, a little under a year later and I've nearly completed the build. There were a few decisions to make along the way, and the final result, which is not yet complete, will be a rigid 1x10. The main reasons for this are that I came across weight weenies, and then did loads of research trying to make the build light :roll: . I decided that I would be able to handle 1x10 (I like the occasional challenge), and that as I am relatively new to mountain biking a rigid fork would not only teach me good line but also save weight.

So far I have collected the following parts:

Frame- Kinesis Maxlight XC
Wheels- Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp (Something functional until I can buy a nicer, lighter set. Came with Nobby Nics
Seatpost- Thomson Elite (finding a carbon seatpost in 26.8 was impossible)
Saddle- Charge Spoon CroMo (might get a flite at some point)
Stem- Thomson Elite X4
Bars- Easton EC70 (mega deal at Merlin)
Brakes- Shimano SLX M675
Crankset- Middleburn RS7 (with gold ano and triple spider in case I wimp out)
BB- FSA Platinum (Best I could find :? )
Skewers- A2Z Ti
Grips- Ritchey WCS Truegrip

Sadly the headset that came with the frame was pretty knackered so I'm replacing it. The fork was originally going to be a cheap sus fork which I bought, but after much deliberation I changed my mind and looked around for the best carbon rigid fork, coming to the conclusion that the Trigon/Ritchey/Token style is the best option over exotic style, the only problem with the Trigon is the decals- so I looked around and discovered the Picasia forks are the same design but much, much more understated.

So the remaining items on my shopping list are:

Fork- Picasia 3k matt or glossy?
Headset- Cane Creek 40
Rotors- Uberbike (check the reviews)
Pedals- Crank Bros?

And finally the groupset, which comes as a package put together by CRC, containing:

Shifter- Shimano XT M780
Derailleur- Shimano XT M786 Shadow+
Chainring- RaceFace Narrow Wide
Cassette- Shimano XT M771
Chain- Shimano XT HG95

More pics to follow shortly when I've figured out how to add them from Photobucket, sorry about using the sale picture just for now...

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,845
Ah, I thought I recognised this frame! And the staircase :) Really glad to see its next owner on here. Actually I had a set of destickered Trigon carbon forks on it for a while though I never took a photo of that configuration, which came out well under 8kg for the bike. Suited the frame very nicely too.

Look forward to seeing more details of the build!

Re:

Any updates? nice frame.
interested to see what the groupset is like to use i had a look and they seem good value at the moment.

Re:

Fatal Swan":1cgl5meb said:
Ah, I thought I recognised this frame! And the staircase :) Really glad to see its next owner on here. Actually I had a set of destickered Trigon carbon forks on it for a while though I never took a photo of that configuration, which came out well under 8kg for the bike. Suited the frame very nicely too.

Look forward to seeing more details of the build!
Hi Fatal Swan
Thanks for the reply, the frame is great, thanks :D I have got the carbon fork on now and it looks really stealthy :cool: I was originally thinking about getting a trigon one but as mentioned the stickers are ugly and I didn't want to risk sanding...

kyle888":1cgl5meb said:
Any updates? nice frame.
interested to see what the groupset is like to use i had a look and they seem good value at the moment.
Thanks Kyle,
Yeah the group does look to be good value at the moment, I have got the frame to a rolling set up, and am just saving up for the groupset now. I have decided to take a bit of a risk and get a 3/32" middleburn uno ring for the 1x10 and get the raceface ring for my spesh tricross sport commuter. The uno ring may not work, but if not I have a plan to sell it and should be able to get hold of an XT triple crankset and another raceface ring for a similar price to the sale, but hopefully that won't happen :)

Sorry for the long wait for a reply, I've been really busy recently with schoolwork and stuff, I'll try and post pics of what I have after the uno ring arrives, which will hopefully be some time this week...

Re:

Right forget waiting for the ring, excuse the really really crappy webcam pics, but it was easier that way :roll: . I know the geometry is a bit dodgy but I quite like the look of it even if I say so myself. Cables still need cutting but that'll be done in the summer when I have more time.
Only things left are groupset and rotors, pedals are coming as a birthday present which I definitely didn't see lying around the house :LOL: :facepalm:
I'm aiming to finish it by the beginning of next year so I can get out on the trails in the spring and after Christmas for what will hopefully be some great xc riding.
Here she is:

Attachments

• Snapshot_20150315_2.JPG
    Snapshot_20150315_2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,567
Thanks!
I got the Picasia ones in matt and they look stunning, they were £107 which I decided was better than a cheap sus fork for that price. They also weigh 460g on my kitchen scales with an uncut steerer, I just hope they don't disappoint...

They're also physically identical to the Ritchey and Token ones which apparently used to cost £££ when in production, I'm guessing the likes of trigon and picasia have bought some of the moulds from the factories that produced them or something?

Re:

Holy moly thats light wish I'd got some of them on my merlin malt kenisis frame.
I got some nos p2's which i think are about 850g or somethin might be wrong and they cost me about 80 quid.
where were they from?

I too did not want crappy suspension forks, rigid rocks i love it and no maintenance!

Before I bought the Trigons that I had on this frame I did a bit of research and seem to remember finding a few threads suggesting something similar about all of those forks and possibly even that they are all rebadged from the same manufacturer. I can well believe the weight in the region of 460g - my Trigon forks were somewhere around 490g for the disc & V-brake version, without V-brake bosses but with the carbon steerer clamp 'bung' thing fitted.

When I had this frame done up for the road on the front end, in addition to the sub-500g forks, I had a 620g front wheel, 200g slick tyre, 95g stem, 199g drop bar - I miss it! Sounds like it's going to get the kind of use it deserves now, anyway...

Back