On One 45650b

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Heretic! Burn him at the stake!
I've bought a new bike, and to compound this I've bought one in that weird wheel size.

Haven't even taken it for a spin yet, but to say I'm excited is an understatement. Really impressed with the finish considering it's a relatively cheap bike.

Managed to get one before they switched from full Deore to SRAM kit, and upgraded to a Thomson seatpin for only an extra £15.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the silly wheels.

If I buy a new frame to replace the Rune, it'll have silly wheels too. I think I prefer the idea of them to a 29er.

Mindmap3":2xd9l92s said:

If I buy a new frame to replace the Rune, it'll have silly wheels too. I think I prefer the idea of them to a 29er.

No choice is there really. Only supermarket bikes and bespoke or high end downhill keeping 26".

Having a brief go on this bike happy to say it rides lovely. Lot more subtle than I thought it might be.

coomber":3sj59ga4 said:
Mindmap3":3sj59ga4 said:

No choice is there really. Only supermarket bikes and bespoke or high end downhill keeping 26".

Having a brief go on this bike happy to say it rides lovely. Lot more subtle than I thought it might be.

Too right...hand will be forced I fear.

Until 26 gets reinvented as the fun wheel size once sales dry up of 650b. Or am I just being cynical?

Anyway, rufty tufty slack hardtails are brilliant fun. I quite fancy a Stanton Switchback.

I wanted a switchback but iirc biggest size was 18" frame which at 6'2 would be too small.

First impressions of this bike are great but need a bigger shake down before reporting back.

Been out exploring. Moved six months ago (not that far, and only temporarily) but don't know any tracks that are at a distance from my house. So have been using this to check out lots of local bridleways like this:

Nothing that technical yet but genuinely impressed how good this is even where I thought my older bikes (and even my previous modern bikes) would be quicker and more enjoyable.

Lot of hate for 650b - not sure it makes that much difference but the wheels do feel much bigger than my 26". The tyres are only 2.3's but feel bigger if that makes sense. Like with 29ers, give it a go and see if you like it. :D

My target is to cycle 1,000 miles this year so this will be getting a lot of use.

Glad to hear that you're gettng on with it.

I've taken the plunge and have gone for some silly wheels too. I picked up my Switchback the other day and am just waiting for bits to arrive.

Back